Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
building large natural pond

Posted by herodhobert-2010 4 wi (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 8, 11 at 15:14

I have a hill side that has water draining through the soil. It is a clay and sandy/gravel mix.Three years ago while planting trees I discovered water seeping into the hole I dug. I built a 4 inch drill and hand drilled down to 11 feet until I hit a rock. Several other holes stopped at close to the same depth. The hole has never dried up but has filled in with soil so that it is only about 6 ft deep now and has widened itself. I can empty the hole with a coffee can but it fills back up. During the driest month it produced less water. On Jan 4 I drew 30 cans out and it was filling up as I drew. It seems that have a shallow spring there. Has anyone built a pond with these conditions?Will a dug out pond produce more springs?How would I prevent the water from draining out further down hill? This is during zone3/4 wisconsin winter.I would appreciaate some answers if possible.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: building large natural pond

Since I don't know much about your hill, I can't guess if you have a spring or not. I can tell you that during the January melt one year in Wisconsin, our house, which was built into a hillside, was flooded because some dolt dumped refuse at the end of our drainage ditch that ran across the entire back of the house.

Check out the drainage behind your hillside. It might not be a spring at all. Your local DNR may know where the seepage is coming from. The local topography maps published about 12 years ago could be very helpful.

o
RE: building large natural pond

When I was a kid, long over half century ago, the government was quite enthusiastic about helping persons design and build ponds. They even gave my uncle some bass fry to stock one he build with government supervision and assistance. Who knows what has happened since then but it should be worth investigation.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here