Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anemone-like growth on Koi

Posted by ademink z5a-5b Indianapolis (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 28, 13 at 16:14

Just went out and saw that one of my large koi has a very bizarre looking growth/parasite/what the heck on her.

It is 1-1.25" long (hard to tell w/ water depth), is dark reddish in color and looks like a flowing saltwater anemone. She literally looks like a small anemone is growing on her!

The real estate it is attached to is approx. the diameter of a pea and it flows when she swims.

I have never seen anything like this and can't find anything online.

Any ideas? It doesn't look a thing like anchor worm...been there, done that and have the $500 medication bill to prove it. lol

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anemone-like growth on Koi

Lymphocystis?

o

Anglerfish?

I know, not funny. Hi girlfriend. I'm on here for the first time in years because we're having a fish emergency. Looking for answers. I hope your fish is OK. -- Z-Chick

o

• Posted by ademink z5a-5b Indianapolis (My Page) on
    Wed, Jan 30, 13 at 9:51

LOL!! Zinnia..you always made me laugh...don't stop now! :) I haven't been on here in a coon's age either! xxoo!

o

Hydra maybe? I don't know if they attach to fish (or survive in cold water), but it was the first thing I thought of when reading the description.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://naturalaquariums.com/inverts/hydra.html

o

Wed, Jan 30, 13 at 9:58

So what is your emergency?? Watching for a post...*staring*...

o

Wed, Jan 30, 13 at 10:18

timbersmith...fascinating!!! I'm going to research that now!

o

Sun, Mar 10, 13 at 19:51

OK...so I think maybe this is Saprolegnia. I was reading that the koi can get injured...get that fungus and then algae will grow on it.

So...now what? lol Has anyone dealt w/ this before? Trying to find a "real life" answer rather than an online "salt baths every three days" kinda answer. LOL

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here