Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
frankielynnsie

Vivaparous Water lilies

frankielynnsie
11 years ago

Does anyone have viviparous waterlily experience? I would like to try one this year and wondered what variety you have had the best luck with--color and shape of flowers, most flowering, easiest to grow new pantlets? I have read about the type that grow from the node in the leaf and the ones that come from the flowers. The leaf type seem to be the most new plant forming. Any info on your experience would be appreciated.

Comments (11)

• steiconi
    11 years ago

I didn't know they were called viviparous, but I have one lily that keikis like crazy. Seems like every single leaf produces a new plant.

This particular lily is also huge--last year I had to keep pruning it to keep open water in the 6'x6' pond. Leaves are mottled with red when young, solid green when mature. Flowers are light pink with yellow centers. Don't have a clue what the name is, I got it from someone in my water garden club.

• frankielynnsie
    Original Author
    11 years ago

What do you do with the babies? I looked up keikis and learned a new word. Great images of orchids with babies.

• gardener1
    11 years ago

Frankielynn-
    I had a viviparous waterlily a couple of years ago it was too sweet I produced about 35 to 40 waterlilies with it it was a dark purple tropical but I just can't remember the name of it. But, anyways what i did was to clip off the leaves with the little bump in the middle and put them in a ziplock baggie with some pond water. them zip them closed and let them float in the pond in a few days you will see roots begin to grow off of the leaf center. Keep it in the baggie until it has about 3-4 leaves on it. The plant will grow right from the center of the leaf it's really cool to reproduce waterlilies this way.

Here is a link that might be useful: gabelmans gardens

• steiconi
    11 years ago

I've given away a few of the keiki, some of them wander off and plant themselves elsewhere in the pond, and I've dumped a few in the tilapia tank for a fish treat.

I don't know if they would survive mailing, and Hawaii has severe restrictions on mailing plants out of state. Water lilies can be considered invasive (this one sure wants to be).

Before shipping plant matter (including cut flowers) from Hawaii, you have to take them to the USDA office for inspection, and (if approved) they are sealed and stamped, then you take them to the PO. I think they scan packages looking for ag products; a friend sent her daughter a flower lei and both got scary threatening letters warning them never to do that without USDA approval.

I wish they had such good inspections for plants on the way INTO the state; this would be a much nicer place if we didn't have coqui frogs and fire ants, both of which came in on out of state plants.

• frankielynnsie
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I was in Hawaii the first week of January. It was beautiful and I brought back a bamboo orchid and Hawaiian Tuberose. They are out in the sunroom and I hope they survive and bloom this summer. They are very particular about their plant inspections. I can understand why--I wish we didn't have fire ants. The water lily sounds so interesting and I am going to start looking for one. My pond splurge for this summer. I would like a lotus too, but I tried 2 of those and they just languished for 3 years but didn't get real pretty.

• sdavis
    11 years ago

Tina, Islamorada, Dauben are among the easier vip lilies to try, besides having good all round characteristics they are more cold tolerant as far as trop lilies grow

• frankielynnsie
    Original Author
    11 years ago

sdavis, do you have problems with these reproducing too much? Or making a mess in the pond? You are in the same zone as I am--how do you over winter these lilies? I have brought the other not cold hardy pond plants into the sunroom but would sinking them to 3 ft be enough for them to live outside during the winter?

• gardener1
    11 years ago

Tropicals should be alright outdoors in the pond 3 ft deep in zone 7b. I am in zone 6 and it's just the slightest bit too cold for me. But I have done it in my unheated greenhouse. The pic is actually one of my hardy lilies.

Here is a link that might be useful: Make Money Gardening

• gardener1
    11 years ago

frankielynn-
    I got your message thanks for the compliment about my blog. I have other blogs as well. I live in Alexandria Ky its just 15 min south of Cincinnati. If you like you can call me or message me through email. My number is on the website. I do welcome trades.

Here is a link that might be useful: Make Money Gardening

• sdavis
    11 years ago

No, no problem with vip's dropping spare plants, they are easy to dispose of... As they start at a very small size it's easy to winkle spare plants out

Sinking them in deep water would probably lose them to cold winter water temps or snails, fish grazing them to destruction when they start up slow in Spring.

Small vip's are easy to winter indoors at room temps, well lit

• sdavis
    11 years ago

No, no problem with vip's dropping spare plants, they are easy to dispose of... As they start at a very small size it's easy to winkle spare plants out

Sinking them in deep water would probably lose them to cold winter water temps or snails, fish grazing them to destruction when they start up slow in Spring.

Small vip's are easy to winter indoors at room temps, well lit