Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ella5_gw

My pool is half what I thought!

Ella5
13 years ago

I found the dimensions of my new pool: 15 x 30, average depth 4'. Gallons, 13446 gallons, with a surface area of 450 sq'. It's also 17 years old, not 30, so it should be okay for a several more years, right?

For water gardens 10 � 15% of surface area should be bog filter, and for fish ponds there should be 25 � 30%.

That means that for garden, 45 to 68', and for fish, 112- 135 sq feet should be bog.

Since I plan to add fish in a year or so, I could build my gravel filter 50'x 3'. That wraps around the far end and the left side of it, almost the entire way. I need 2 cubic yards of pea gravel.(50 x 3 x 1 ft� = 1.85185 yd�)

This is looking more doable.

Tomorrow I find out about the filter and pump: the pool guy is coming.

I can still eliminate the chemicals and add plants and the aerator, and work on the bog filter over the months.

Ella

Comment (1)

• Ella5
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I learned a bit about the pool and the workings. He said the plaster looks like it's in good shape. He commented about people putting plants near the pools, the leaves fall into them, they get dirty. He said mine is SO clean! I didn't tell him yet. Actually, I may hire him on the side when I do change it over, to help me with it!

I have a producing orange tree, a producing date palm, and 2-3 other small trees in the west end of the lot. There's also room for a gravel area to filter water from the washer which is just a few yards away. I can use washer water to water that area as well as replacement water for the pool.
    Ella

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!