Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hostahaveit

koi dying exposed to cold

hostahaveit
10 years ago

Any advice would be appreciated!

I procrastinated turning my waterfall off for the first time in 7 years of having my pond. Temps down to 2 below zero. Ice diverted my waterfall and drained my pond down to 6 inches deep for about 18 hrs. there was 2 inches of ice on top, which was broken in pieces, which were down into the water at all angles. Don't know how much of the bottom 6 inches was ice, or where fish were.When I came home and saw what happened, I immediately refilled with cold water, with dechlorinator. My pond is about 15 ft long, 5 ft wide, 40 inches deep with no plant shelves. 4 days later, temps are up in 50's and raining, so water is still turning over. My pond gets runoff rain from house, 7 yrs now, no ill effects. Ice is all melted, pond is up 4 more inches, and found 2 dead fish, one large and one small. I can see some still alive in the middle on bottom. All are butterfly koi, from 14 to 30 inches. Dead fish removed.

Anything I can do to help them at this point?

waterfall is of course off, with pump in middle again to aereate and keep hole in ice when temps go back down.

Comments (4)