Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
biradarcm

Spa/Hot BathTub Water Garden

biradarcm
12 years ago

One of my friend replacing their old hot bathtub/spa tub (6x6ft and 2-3ft deep) and asked me whether I can use it in the Garden. Suddenly a nice water garden or fish pond come to my imagination. I thinking to replace our small water pond with this hot tub. I just wonder any of you recycled hot bathtub (spa tub) for water garden? Any tips and suggestions are most welcome.

regards -Chandra

Comments (21)

• houstontexas123
    12 years ago

i dont have a pond yet, been researching. seen a few posters here with a spa/bath tub pond.

• biradarcm
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you houston, I searched and not find any link to real pictures or DIY things on how to convert hot spa tub to garden.

Below is the picture of the free tub I am getting from a friend. After looking at the tub in his backyard, looks great, seems no water leakage as all connections are intact and good conditions. You can see some dirt, as kept it upside down to protect it from weather. We love water garden very much, especially sounds of the flowing waterfalls and fountains, nigh lights, and of course koi and gold fish and water lilies.

{{gwi:183647}}

Some ideas and picture about converting this tub to water garden would be great.

Thanks -Chandra

• elvis
    12 years ago

Wow! Great color for pond background (as soon as you get rid of the white thingies). There has to be some info out there--keep us posted--very exciting idea, I think.

• albert_135   39.17°N 119.76°W 4695ft.
    12 years ago

My wife has a tank, pond, whatever, made from an old hot tub. She expended a lot of effort plugging the holes but it has worked fine now for a few years. It has a drain in the very bottom and she hooked it up to a garden hose fixture so I water all my plants with fish water.

• biradarcm
    Original Author
    12 years ago

albert_135, Thanks you. Could you please post couple of picture or DIY of your would help me! Drain in the very bottom is nice idea, so that we won't waste any water!

• biradarcm
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Albert_135 and folks,

Could you please give some info on what types of materials used in plugging the jet holes?

I need to close those Jet holes in the hot tub, Please suggested some good material but bit economic. I searched online, many suggested to use PVC cement, Epoxy putty, but they are good for small cracks and holes, but these Jet holes are big and many, need lot of sealant to close them all. Any suggestion would be great help.

regards -Chandra

12 years ago

biradarcm, my wife did not use any putty or fillers. She was able to cap the pipes to the holes on the outside with PVC fittings. Because of the variation in sizes it took a lot of shopping and tinkering.

• biradarcm
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Albert. One of the folks in AP suggested to use Great Stuff's Pond and Rock foam insulation to plug the jet holes. I thinks that sounds cool.

11 years ago

biradarcm, did you get it up and running? Is it white fiberglass on the inside? If it is white fiberglass do you get a dark green algae(?) that is difficult to remove.

We get a dark green algae, for want of a better name, growing on the inside that is difficult to scrape off but the fish just love eating chunks of it. Don't know if it is healthful for the fish or not.

• biradarcm
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Albert,
    yes did it, tuned out to be one of the beautiful pond. It is green fiberglass. I not see much alge building up after putting aquatic plants, it looks like water hyacinth is doing magic. here is pic of the pond take a month ago.
    {{gwi:183648}}
    -Chandra

• diggery
    11 years ago

Hard to say from the description but sounds like that algae is part of a balanced pond environment. Not sure why you'd want to scrape it off (?)

• chas045
    11 years ago

Thanks for showing us the results, it came out great.

• shakaho
    11 years ago

I love the cement block garden! That's really a nice pond.

• katie_in
    11 years ago

What did you use to close off the jet holes?

• annedickinson
    11 years ago

Great Job Chandra. I like the cinderblock garden too. Gosh, do you think it would be noticed if I did something like this to our hot tub? LOL

• Calamity_J
    11 years ago

LOVE the retaining blocks!!!! How adorable is this!!!! That waterfall is perfection!!!

• bjolley29323
    11 years ago

Love the pond. I got one in May for 50.00 and look forward to building mine soon. also want to build my own filter

• aharriedmom
    11 years ago

That's terrific!

• Katology44
    10 years ago

I just came across this posting and was trying to send a message to birardarcm but it was rejected. I want to make a water garden/fish pond out of my old jacuzzi but can't find any information on plugging the holes so I can fill it up. If anyone has any information ... I could use some advice. Thanks.

• kimmer54
    9 years ago

Hello I'm new to the site. I have been given a hot tub and i am trying to figure out how to turn it into a fish pond It cracked over winter so I'm just going to seal it.. It works ... So can I use the jets and it has a little built in waterfall ???I know the jets are powerful so I would have to find a way to weaken them.... Any ideas.... I would like to use as much as the original hot tub as possible .

• steiconi
    9 years ago

Katology---My old spa was a closed system, there were no holes to be plugged. Unless yours broke or cracked?

Kimmer--make sure whatever you use to seal it is fish safe. On most spas, you can adjust the jet flow by turning the jets themselves--probably clockwise to lower pressure, widdershins to increase.

This is such a cool idea, wish I'd thought of it when my spa conked out. It's long gone, now!

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES