Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Floor construction of concret koi pond

Posted by kesini Thailand (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 11, 13 at 5:56

I have built many small koi ponds. Now I am building a pond that is approximately 30 foot wide by 37 foot long. I plan to use re-bar and pour a bean around the cir. of the pond. Then place the normal iron (liked used in house slab construction) over the area from beam to beam and then pour cement. Is that sufficient for a 3 foot deep pond or should I add in more foundation beams from side to side? Thank you. Kesini

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Floor construction of concret koi pond

Hello Kesini. Many ponds are easier to keep with a rubber roofing liner, specifically 45 mil epdm. This protects against leaks, and a cement pond can have difficulty staying at the correct pH for fish. Also, cement might be rough and fish could scratch themselves against it. I see many ponds with sand on the bottom so the liner lies on sand, and if you walk on it you do not tear the liner. It sounds like you have good experience with cement building -- you could build the sides using the rebar as you suggest, then pour sand in the bottom, lay the liner, then pour a nice cement border/surround on top to hide the liner edges, even make it look like natural stone.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here