lucillle

Front yard or back?

lucillle
11 years ago

Where did you site your pond, and why?

Comments (15)

• carolyn18810
    11 years ago

Mine is in the back yard. We have ordinances where I live in that anything deeper than several inches must have a fence all the way around it so that it is not a safety hazard. I would have put it in the back yard anyway so that I can enjoy my pond and still have privacy.

• carolyn18810
    11 years ago

Mine is in the back yard. We have ordinances where I live in that anything deeper than several inches must have a fence all the way around it so that it is not a safety hazard. I would have put it in the back yard anyway so that I can enjoy my pond and still have privacy.

{{!gwi}}

• joe_09
    11 years ago

in the back i have a 7000 gal + pond next to the patio and spend a lot of time there in the summer.you have to be careful about zone codes in the front yard

• carolyn18810
    11 years ago

{{!gwi}}

• gemini_jim
    11 years ago

Mine is in the front just because the back is full of tree roots and is hard to dig. My garden is in the front too!

• lucillle
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Most of my garden is in the front too. I am building a picket fence around the front and side yards which may comply, I have an email into the city to see.
    I actually like the front yard gardening. People are always stopping to talk about my garden and theirs, and I like that. I think too many people stay inside too much of the time.

• frankielynnsie
    11 years ago

I have a tiny one beside the porch in the front yard, maybe 50 gal. So I can sit on the porch or leave the door open and hear the water splashing-just 2 goldfish and a mini water lily, some blue flowering bacopa, a mini papyrus and anacharis. The bigger pond is in the back beside the patio and it isn't huge-300gal. also a 250 gal trough pond by the garden (that is a 'use when needed' or store upside down behind the out building pond). I have gone small after going pondless for 3 years due to a hole in the liner. I filled in the hole but then just had to dig it back out for a smaller pond. I just couldn't live without it. It is an addiction and I have ordered my first tropical lilies and a lotus this year.

• rsingley
    11 years ago

Front yard. 6'x8' = approximately 700 gallons. Like lucille, my pond draws a lot of attention. This pic is 5 years ago and it has filled in quite a bit.

{{gwi:183797}}

• lucillle
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well I don't actually have the pond IN the front yard yet, it is leaning on the dining room table. I have to finish the picket fence first, only because I am in the middle of building it. Word is back from the city that the pond is OK in the front yard, swimming pool regulations are specific and my little pond doesn't make the grade as a pool.
    Still, it will be good to have the same kind of fence (4 feet) enclosing the yard even if it is a pretty picket fence, because I want the neighborhood kids to be safe.

• kalevi
    11 years ago

Back yard near my deck. I love to sit on the deck and enjoy the pond. We also have the by-laws regarding water depth and fencing so only a shallow pond would do in the front.

• Holly_ON
    11 years ago

In the back, but am seriously considering a pondless waterfall in in the front.

• chemgeekponder
    11 years ago

My pond is in the front yard. My backyard is heavily shaded, and I wanted plants in my pond. It was also closer to an electrical source, my deck, and easy to see from the front windows. I do have a tiny pond in the backyard, but with only a few shade loving plants in it.

• settiano
    11 years ago

I would sit and watch my local television. If the ratio of ambulance chasers are more than 50% of all of the commercials you see, I would be very careful.
    Making light here but it is a very scary thought. I know that I can be sued even if someone trips over something while in my yard. Children can drown in very very little water.

We put in a pond in our back yard and I stayed stressed until we got the fence up. Ponds attract children and pets.
    Your house insurance payments may go up also. Our representative drives around looking at the homes in his area and last month he made appointments to come onto the property and inspect.
    Not trying to get you paranoid but sometimes you have to be a little careful.
    Karen

• Debbie Downer
    11 years ago

BACK YARD, of course! Urban area - no front yard to speak of! Also, I wouldn't want it in front bc of all the foot traffic - people walking by would mean more risk of some idiot hassling the fish or falling in the pond drunk and drowning. I have nice neighbors and all, but in any urban environment you just have to take precautions about stuff.

• cherokee_joeshoeboot
    11 years ago

Maybe a little late in posting here but thought I would add my two cents anyway. I think the location you pick is a personal thing. Where do you spend your leisure time? Where is will it be most easy for you to maintain. Do you want to share with your neighbors. Having it in front is a good way to meet and have conversations with neighbors where it's more private in back. I personally don't have much of a back yard but have large side yards so mine is being located in a side yard. Good location for me to enjoy it, easy access for maintenance and it's close enough to the road that some neighbors out for a walk will certainly be able to see it and stop and chat if they want. Good luck.