Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
corrie22

Has anyone used Pond Armor?

corrie22
14 years ago

I'm building a above ground pond, concrete floor, cement block sides. I need something to seal it and found this - PondArmor - on the internet.

Has anyone used it?

How hard/easy was it to do?

Did it work?

http://www.pondarmor.com/

thanks guys, it won't be long until they thaw out!

Corrie

Comments (10)

• mike_il
    14 years ago

Corrie,
    Pond Armor is a good product. But I would also consider a product called CIM. I sell both products and have used both products. The problem both products have is that they have a fairly short working life. Pond Armor is an epoxy which gives it a hard surface. The cement block walls are going to seams where every block is mortared in. Pond Armor is applied with a brush or roller and sealing these seams is going to be fun. CIM is a rubber which allows it to flex with no problem. It is applied with a trowel. This will allow it to cover the seams easier. Pond Armor is going to have a gloss finish where as CIM at first has a gloss finish that after 6 months turns to a flat finish. Both are easy to use and apply but you do have to work fast. Both will stick to the vertical walls with no problem. Pond Armor comes in different colors and clear where CIM is black only. The first time I used CIM was a cement pond that we coated about 10 years ago and it is just fine today even with our freezing and hot weather that we have here in Chicago. The first time that I used Pond Armor was about 4 years to get a blue color on some inside fiberglass vats that I have at my store. One the coating looks as good as the day I put it on but the other one the some of the coating has peeled off. Since we net fish out of these vats all the time it could be the net scraping on the bottom that has caused one to peel. Both products are fairly costly. You didn't say how large this project is. But I would probably us CIM.
    Mike

• corrie22
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Mike, thanks a million
    I searched for Cim and found even more sealers.
    There's one called "Sanitred Permaflex and LRB/TAV" that also seems to be recommended.
    I don't have a clue about any of them.
    I think the best thing for me to do is decide on a product to use, then find someone I can hire to do it!
    Thanks again
    Corrie

• mike_il
    14 years ago

Corrie,
    How large a pond are you going to coat? I have no idea on "Sanitred Permaflex and LRB/TAV" as I have never used or heard of this product. Using CIM is easy to use and a project that a DYI can easily do but depending on the size of the project I would recommend either two or three people to get it applied before it sets up. All the concrete has to cure for 30 days before it can be coated. If you are going to do this project on your own I can walk you through it.
    Mike

• corrie22
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Mike.
    The pond Will be "L" shaped, a wall around a patio. About 15-20 feet down each leg, 8 ft across, and about 30 inches deep.
    I decided to just do monolithic pour. That will make it water proof from the get go. The outside walls will be plastered, and I asked the plaster guys if they had ever worked with Thoroseal. They said they used it all the time.
    I can dye the Thoroseal black for the inside of the pond.

Since they are going to plaster the outside anyway, I'm just going to let them plaster the inside at the same time.

Thanks for all your help
    Corrie

• msulli2472
    14 years ago

I have used Pond Armor before but not in the manner that I think you are intending to. I had a leaky waterfall and I purchased the product to fix the leaks. First thing is the product is not cheap. Second, the product is an epoxy and it can be a challege to work with as mentioned previously. Even after applying the product as direcetd I still had to try and caulk all of the seams and on my waterfall there are many.

Since you are buliding a new pond from scratch, I would think that application of Pond Armor would be much simpler compared to what I was trying to do. I have looked at their videos and it looks like it would be very easy for you to apply. Also, if you call the store with a question they are very helpful.

• bob2090
    13 years ago

I used pond armor and would not recommend it to anybody. It's expensive and very difficult to use. The 1.5 quart does not cover a big area, and really only covers 20 square feet at a stretch. I am looking at alternatives such as thoroseal and drylok to see if they any better.

• stellarone
    12 years ago

Here is my experience with the product Pond Armor or Pond Shield- with some perspective after further research and use of the product: as you will find the product is over priced, does not cover the specs (application rate and coverage are way too low) which it is labeled and the product kicked for me within 10 minutes after mixing -aka it was solid and could not be used even after using more reducer. The company will ask you everything from was the wind blowing east or west, was it sunny or shady, cool or hot, high tide or low tide etc. In my experience i followed the directions exact but its irrelevant. These products are basically polyurethane elastomeric with two parts to mix. Anyway save your money (lots of it) and the hassle and look towards either two solutions; a paint setup such as Drylok or some have ref a product called Thermoseal and if your looking for something perhaps more durable check out Line X coatings or Herculiner - these are like spray in bedliner for truck type coatings and they can be sprayed (not sure about the herculiner you need to confirm)...they say they Pond Armor is sprayable but aint no way its happening. Be sure your concrete is right from the inside out and all prep work done - its all in the prep work, you have cracks in concrete use bonding agent and mix stucco patch or concrete to fill them in, if the dry with a crack repeat the process - then let it harden and complete the steps before your ready to apply your top coats.

• stellarone
    12 years ago

couple notes on the prior posted - you can add color tints to products such as Drylok...and Thoroseal (not Thermo)

• HU-343783891
    11 months ago

I ordered Pond Armor through Lowes. It was delivered to my house. After about a month waiting it came in. OMG. The cans were beat and bent all up. Those nice little kits they show are jokes. Mine was 8 different cans thrown in a box. No instructions and someone had hand written the colors and part A and part B on them. The first can I opened was like first grade school paste. I thought how in the world is this going to spread. Then the second can was like a thick paint. Never using it before, I assume the first was BAD. . Glad I can bring it back to Lowes. I called for instruction and advice, since I didn't get any. Well, I'm still waiting on the call back they said I would get. Needless to say, it looks like they take no pride in their company or product. Hope it's worth the money and headache. As of right now, I am NOT impressed

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting