Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Does anyone have an Obedient Plant in their pond?

Posted by aggierose (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 5, 13 at 10:48

I LOVE this plant and planted it in my garden several years ago. It's such an aggressive plant though and it quickly took over. I didn't realize it could be put in a pond but I've recently seen it advertised on sites with other aquatic plants. Does it do well in the pond? Does it take over the pond?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Does anyone have an Obedient Plant in their pond?

Hey, Aggie. There are several kinds of obedient plants. Can you be more specific? If it is the common sensitive plant, mimosa pudica you should be aware that it is somewhat toxic. If you have fish that graze on plants it might not be suitable.I certainly agree it is attractive. I have seen it sold as a pond plant.It can do well in some ponds but it can be a bit finicky.

Another Obedient plant is a member of the mint family. It might do quite well growing on the side of the pond. If it likes the water it will soon spread there. Most mints are invasive.

A plant that is sometimes confused with that one is loosestrife. You must be very careful not to use Purple loosestrife which is a disastrously invasive plant especially in wetlands. There are plenty of other varieties that are not invasive.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here