Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
foodfiend_gardener

moving goldfish to 7b...

foodfiend_gardener
11 years ago

We are building a home about 10 minutes from the ocean/ bay in DE and I want to build a pond there and take my goldfish. We currently have a 1200 gallon pond, and I plan to make one about half the size.

The biggest concern is going from a spring water source to city water. How do I start to acclimate the fish to city water in their new home? Or do I do this during the moving process (the new place will be about 6 hours drive).

Predators. Although I once caught a heron at our current pond, and we have raccoons who only like to play in the pond and leave the fish be, I wonder if we will have to protect the fish somehow (nets, etc.). There seem to be way more birds in the area (and we are building the house near a wetland area, on a wooded lot).

And the moving process itself. How to move about 20 small-to-medium sized goldfish?

I would appreciate any ideas or suggestions! Thanks!

Comments (7)

• gemini_jim
    11 years ago

How far is the move? Is there any option for waiting until water temperatures warm a bit, like into the 60's or so. This is their dormant time, and moving them would be very stressful.

As far as moving them, I would get a bunch of 5 gallon buckets with tight fitting lids, as many as it takes to take 2-3 fish per bucket and fill them half to two-thirds full. If you can get the new pond set up, move a few fish, then wait several days to move the rest, that would be best for establishing a good nitrogen cycle.

As far as the different water chemistry, it's hard to tell without knowing more about your well water and your city water. Coastal water supplies in this region are often pretty soft, so you'll probably want to doctor the pond water anyway. I always add some form of calcium carbonate like lime or oyster shell. Coral is also good. Goldies are pretty tolerant of sodium too, but many plants are not.

Yeah, you'll want to keep an eye on the birds. Being in the woods might actually be a good thing. Having the pond close to the house and having obstructions that make it more awkward for birds to get in and out can go a long way, but be ready to put a net over it if you start losing fish. You might also be on the lookout for snakes. Water and garter snakes are fish eaters.

• frankielynnsie
    11 years ago

I moved mine in a rubbermaid tub with the lid on. I ran the tubing from an air pump into the tub through already holes that were inside the handle area, plugged it into one of those electric plug converters that plug into your cigarette lighter. We had to drive 2 hours. I sat the tub into the new pond on a cement block until the water temps were the same and turned them loose. No body died. :c)

• foodfiend_gardener
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks so much for the replies, they're very helpful. The house will start construction in April, so we probably won't be moving the fish until fall (unless our house sells sooner, but our new place won't be ready until August. We hope.) The trip is about 6 hours, and I am certain that the water supply will be city water. I guess that I could fill it and let it sit for a couple of weeks then move the fish down then.

The fish will think they've been taken on a Caribbean vacation-- they're currently under 4" of ice. :) Very hardy little guys, they are.

• Debbie Downer
    11 years ago

The water chemistry may be very different - I would want to test both waters to see how different they are (with my new water test set - good to have anyway). If they are very different (or you don't know) you'd have to go very gradually with adding new water to old because sudden drastic shifts in Ph and such can be bad and even lethal. So, maybe youd want to bring along some containers of the old water so you could be very gradual with them adjusting to the new water.

• foodfiend_gardener
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks kashka kat, sounds like a logical thing to do. :)

• PKponder TX Z7B
    11 years ago

Watch out for the heat also in August. We moved in May once and used buckets to move our tropical aquarium fish and almost lost several buckets of fish when the water went to nearly 100. They were the last items loaded and first out but it was exceptionally hot that day. Maybe take an ice chest full of cubes made from your water at the old house. Just saying.

• EricColbert
    9 years ago

I agree with the fellas here. Making sure that the new water is the same as the old water is very important. You can try keeping some of the water in storage with the fishies while in transit and ensure that the new water has a bit of the old in it so that it's easier for fishies to acclimate. Transport wise, I don't think there's any real safe way to do it unless you call in the professionals, but all the same keep us updated and good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Supercheap Storage New Zealand - The Best Portable Solution at the Cheapest Prices in NZ