Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joraines_gw

Bit of a Setback at our Pond!

joraines
11 years ago

Last night, we came home from visiting my Dad out of town to find that the top part of a massive tree which was struck by lightning years ago, had fallen across our koi pond and broken the fountain urn in the upper circle. I put pictures on our new farm blog, http://hamptonroadfarms.blogspot.com/. I dressed warmly and went down this morning to remove as much debris as I could. It will take a chain saw to cut the largest parts. it fell right beside a baby Redbud tree my Dad gave me last year but appears to have obliterated a Sago Palm and uprooted some bulbs and a few other plants. And, of course, the urn will have to be replaced. Sigh. It was so pretty last year. But we were both down there yesterday all around the pond so it could have fallen then. We are thankful it waited until no one was nearby.

Comments (6)

• Holly_ON
    11 years ago

How sad. Can you save part of the urn to turn on it's side and plant annuals spilling out of it. I have done that and it makes an interesting feature. Nice pond you have!

• joraines
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you! We will see if we can salvage any part of it--even to put it in the pond as a hiding place from that pesky heron for my little goldfish. My husband has a glass-half-full outlook in life to my half-empty and he said he wanted to re-do the fountain anyway. I am glad it happened now before all of our plants begin to emerge! But still a lot of cleanup to do down there.

• garyfla_gw
    11 years ago

Hi
    Sorry to hear that . Pools seem to attract disaster. Think the worst I ever had was hurricane Jeanne . Ripped up my shadehouse and put it on top of the pool. Since there was two feet of standing water and all the trees /palms were flat
    Took almost two weeks to repair . Fish had all escaped and all the plants were dead. Damage to the pool was a limb had penetrated the liner . Feel lucky in spite of that as only damage to house was the roof
    Good luck in the future!!! gary

• joraines
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you, Gary. Yep, a hurricane would set you back alright! My husband sent me an article today about huge goldfish in Lake Tahoe that they suspect were tossed out by aquarium owners and they consider them a non-native species and therefore harmful. Well, as with happened to you, if we have what my old aunts called a 'spring freshing', torrential days-long downpours, some of my little fish may wash over into the farm pond, on down the creek and into the North Tyger River and beyond. Wouldn't want that to happen for all the world but it's not always deliberate dumping of non-indigenous species that happen! We'll build it back as we can. Everything we do on our farm is on a shoestring and by ourselves with only help from friends with heavier equipment than what we have.

• annedickinson
    11 years ago

Sorry to hear this. You have put so much work into changing your swampy area into a lovely pond.

• joraines
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I appreciate it. But living on a farm, you eventually get used to repairing and having things break down or get destroyed. My husband said he wanted to re-do it anyway. I liked it the way it was but I'm sure whatever he does, it will be an improvement.

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath