Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nwj629_gw

Protecting Waterlilies from Koi

nwj629
15 years ago

I looking for any ideas on how to protect waterlilies from koi, large or small, for an article I am writing for our clubs newsletter.

Norm

Genesee Valley Pond & Koi Club

Newsletter Editors

http://www.gvpakc.org

Comments (9)

• nkm56
    15 years ago

Some people swear by lava rocks in their lily pots, since fish don't like to root around with the sharper edges.

I use a strip of plastic poultry fence stapled around the upper lip of the pot, and then I staple the top edges of the fence material together. The holes are wide enough for the lily pads and stalks to grow through them, yet the fish can't reach the roots.

• sdavis
    15 years ago

Having a pond separate from the koi will make a difference, growing the waterlilies up to a decent size in early Summer before risking them with aggressive grazers, a safe place where you can move a lilypot to, to recover if turtles or fish are doing some damage.

• evesta
    15 years ago

My koi don't mess with the gravel but they actually bite them off at the stem. I see they sell water lilly koi protectors that are a coned shape net and then a floating noodle. You could probably make your own if you are handy.

• newbirdman
    15 years ago

My Koi are about 2 feet long and dont bother any of my plants . My lilies grow so large I cant even see the fish . They cover the surface completely and I have to go in the pond to trim the leaves as they turn brown . I wish they would eat my plants . By the way , my pond is 8' x 20' and 3000 gallons.

• nwj629
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I would like to thank all of you for your response. I will be using your ideas in writing my article for our club members. In all my research IÂm not sure there is one solution to this problem. Koi size and pond size all play in to this problem.
    Thanks
    Norm

Here is a link that might be useful: Genesee Valley Pond & Koi Club

• cliff_and_joann
    15 years ago

Hi Norm, We've used this method with success.
    Take a wire hanging basket, the kind with the moss in it. Remove the moss, invert the wire pot over the lily pot and wire it to the lily pot. The lily grows through the wire and the big bad boys can't dig in the dirt.
    They can swim over it, circle it, and bump into it all day
    long, but can't dig up those yummy roots.
    You have my permission to use the photos in the article.
    Joann

{{gwi:184953}}

{{gwi:184954}}

{{gwi:184955}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Our web page.

• nwj629
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Joann,
    Great idea, with the basket over the pot. Love the photos.
    Norm

• aaron-k-s-lee
    14 years ago

Interesting, I was thinking of using some wire mesh(those with larger holes, but the wire pot would do fine(I just have to stick to budget cuz my mom is paying). I also think the size of the koi is a great factor in this, if its big and slow or small and lively(can't really confirm this cuz my koi are all still small and active, and everyone i know who has koi does not keep any plants in the pond...-.-).

Aaron