Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My pond is frozen over

Posted by Joecd none (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 22, 14 at 15:56

Hi everyone. I live in Pa and I have approximately a 4000 gallon pond that's 4 feet deep. I have turtles, koi, gold fish crayfish, frogs and many other things that my kids catch and put in there from a local stream. My problem is that my small heater broke recently and my pond froze over. I try to drill a fresh whole in there each day. The pond has thick ice and is snowed over. Do you think everything is ok in there. It may have been frozen over for more than 2 weeks before I noticed it. I'm not sure though.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My pond is frozen over

Time will tell..... a few years ago, I missed catching a five inch goldie when I brought the others inside. In a 100 gal pond, I don't know how I missed it. Imagine my surprise to see him swimming in the spring! Hope yours make it.
They have a better chance in your much bigger deeper pond.

o

I've a gutter heater that keeps a hole in the ice all winter.

Some old farm ponds would freeze almost solid. Wild carp would survive. I've no feel for how carp-ish goldfish are when it comes to winter survival.

o

I'm in PA too. I also had a heater give out and got a different type as a replacement. It's a Tetra pond de-icer that looks like a plastic rock that floats. I got it from Webb's pond supplies. He has great prices and if you order one morning, generally UPS has it on your doorstep the next day. He's just south of PA in MD. I used to have a Danner heater that was like a donut shape and kept a hole in the middle. The fake rock floats and opens an area around it. Within a few days it opened a larger area than I'd ever had before. Squirrels and birds went to the edge of the ice to get a drink. I really like it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Webb's pond supplies

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here