Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Will Shubunkin stay in a creek?

Posted by albert_135 Sunset 2 or 3 (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 7, 14 at 16:10

We've a creek with a place that holds water all year. Normally doesn't flow much except this time of year.

Will Shubunkin stay in such a place or will the migrate when the creek is flowing.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Will Shubunkin stay in a creek?

I would not count on them staying.

o

I'd say zero chance any kind of fish would stay in one area of a creek except when trapped.

Assuming we're talking US I think it would be a federal crime to put goldfish into a creek since it probably leads to a federally owned water supply. The water in the creek is probably owned by the state. Depends on the state and amount of water. But again, the state would have something to say if the water flows to a state owned water supply. There's two ways to look at this. Big gov shouldn't tell you what to do. Or these water ways have been owned by all of us for a really long time and we have a right to protect our property.

From purely a hobby perspective it would be a big help if you didn't put goldfish into the creek. The state of Maine has outlawed the keeping goldfish and koi within the state because of this problem. Many people consider it a crazy law, and maybe it is. But there certainly seems to be a very widespread belief by many people that it's perfectly OK to release all kinds of stuff into the environment. So by not releasing goldfish into the creek you would be helping to keep goldfish and koi legal in your state, and maybe other states, by not adding to a problem that "we the people" would then be forced to address to protect our resources.

o

Why on Earth would you want to do that? Please don't,
for the sake of the environment and the poor shubunkins.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here