Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pondbucket

Netting, When Do YOU Remove Yours?

pondbucket
12 years ago

I've gone some fall seasons without even netting my water garden but this year I was really good about getting my netting up and over the pond and stream early.

When I've done this I've usually kept the netting on all fall through winter seasons, removing it sometime in April.

I occasionally get a bird under the netting and I don't like having to rescue them, so I'm thinking I ought to take my local pond supply store's advice and remove my netting in late December once most leaves have fallen off the deciduous trees.

All the leaves are off the trees now but winter brings strong winds. Have you had much luck where you're at removing the netting before winter's end? That's my question for all.

Thanks!

Comments (6)

• koidog10
    12 years ago

I take my net off as soon as all the leaves ar off the trees. I also leave my water fall running all winter
    so my skimmer picks up any leafs that blow in the pond.

• sleeplessinftwayne
    12 years ago

Not all trees drop their leaves in the fall. There are several oaks in our neighborhood that wait until spring. There are plenty of loose leaves, branches and other wind blown debris that are caught by the net. Even the squirrels get in the act by renewing their nesting materials. Twice last year they dumped their old nests into the filter, clogging it. This year there is netting stretched tightly over the Skippy. We've never harmed a bird although a chipper got tangled in the netting that was already headed for the trash but not yet bagged. It was very upset about the whole thing.

I'll leave it on until spring cleanup is done.

• pondbucket
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I've had two doves get tangled in my netting in the last week.

• sleeplessinftwayne
    12 years ago

Is your netting pulled tight or is it loose? What is it made of? It seems to me that how it is applied might make a difference as well as the size of the mesh. The chipper that was trapped had stuck its head through a hole and then moved to another spot so it's head was caught. Then it tried to get through another hole with the same result. The cat let us know something was wrong. I had to use cuticle scissors to cut the plastic strands it was so tight. I look for a smaller mesh size now.

• bulldinkie
    12 years ago

My hubby built me a frame I use fruit tree netting,I had a heron empty my pond 2 times no more net stays on year round.I dont have any problem at all birds or anything else.

• koijoyii
    12 years ago

Last fall the raccoons conveniently removed the rocks anchoring the net around the pond and the wind blew it into the water. I didn't notice this until I went to remove the net after all the leaves had fallen. When I pulled the net out of the pond there was a 2 ft long garter snake that had its head stuck in the mesh. It was too late for the poor critter. It took me quite a while to cut it out of the net. Its head was about 1 inch across and it stuck it through 1/4 inch mesh. Must have been chasing a fish and barreled right through it. I felt so bad. I buried it in the yard. It was probably thinning my herd of fry.

Jenny