Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How deep to dig for a new pond?

Posted by foodfiend_gardener 6a (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 12, 13 at 21:20

How deep should I dig the new pond at our new house (zone 7b)? I hope to make it a smaller pond than I have now, perhaps a maximum size of 10' x 8' oval, for goldfish, a few plants, a fountain/ filter, and some sort of "hiding place" on the bottom in case a heron or egret visit.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How deep to dig for a new pond?

The general rule is 3' deep in at least part of the pond. I am in central North Carolina and it can freeze solid so one could stand on the pond in some years here. I only have comets, but I haven't lost any. My water level is slightly lower than I designed so I am probably a little under 3 feet and it is still OK.

o

I'm in zone 6A and have a 10'x8' pond that is 18" deep with a 30" deep "hole". It has never frozen solid and the only casualty in winter was a green frog.

o

My pond is only about 2-1/2 feet deep, but it is very small and has a small surface area (~ 4' x 5'), so that is probably partly why it has never come close to freezing solid. I run the submersible pump all winter with an open outlet, so the water circulates bottom to top and there is always at least a small open area on the surface.

As deep as you reasonably can dig is good, not only for protection from winter cold, but protection from summer heat and predators too. It's amazing how much cooler the pond will be than the air on a hot July day, and that is definitely a good thing for the goldies!

Also make sure, if the area is low and tends to collect water, that the rim of the pond will always be above water. My pond is a rigid plastic basin, and it has floated when it wasn't very full and rainwater collected underneath. When it is full it displaces all the rainwater. Your new place probably has sandy soil, unlike my solid clay, so this might never be an issue.

o

Do 3 1/2 feet at least.
Both for summer and winter climate conditions..

This post was edited by cliff_and_joann on Fri, Feb 15, 13 at 14:06

o

Check for any city/county regulations as far as fencing for deeper ponds.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here