Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
smurfishy

Propagating creeping waterprimrose or Ludwigia Peploides

Smurfishy
12 years ago

In Connecticut it is too cold to worry about this plant as a pest, however I guess it is in other states and when I try googling it only comes up with ways to remove it rather than encourage growth! I aqcuired a plant during the summer that when brought into my tank slowly died off. I am guessing it was a combination of poor lighting combined with water current. It a running theory in my fish friend circle that it might of preffered still water as it flourished in my 5 gallon bucket over the summer. I removed the dead plant but refused to throw it away because it had babies. It is currently in a party bowl where they are continuing to grow from the dead plant. I was told they would eventually die if I don't remove them from the decaying plant. Some are very small though with the largest being an inch. I see no root so i am assuming it is rooting in the mother plant? Should i remove them now, should I wait, what is the best way to remove them and what should I do with them after I remove them. Should I keep them in a bowl until summer or can I put them at the bottom of my 75 gallon fish tank. The mother plant was close to the top as it was emergent and that was right in the way of my 400gph filter, but maybe being at the bottom of the tank the water will be still enough? My idea was to cut the decaying plant an inch in either direction from the babies, then attach them to rocks and leave in the bowk or put back in the tank. In the summer I planned on putting them in my new pond.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH