Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mikeyfromgw

Build it and they will come

Mikey
12 years ago

If anyone has the current spring edition of Country Gardens Magazine, check out the article they did on our pond. The article starts on page 80 and is titled "Wildlife Magnet". The article is about how the pond has attracted various wildlife, even here in the suburbs of SoCal.

Comments (8)

• sleeplessinftwayne
    12 years ago

I don't have the magazine but the wildlife that comes to my pond is a frequent delight and sometimes a frustration. I love to sit by the pond at night and watch all the critters play even when they get into mischief. They get used to your presence very quickly. It is one of the greatest pleasures my pond has given me.

Congratulations on the article. I will look for it.

• gunnersm8
    12 years ago

i put in a super small one(like 3x5, 18in deep), mainly for the sound of water moving, but ive really noticed a difference in visitors this spring already. i like it and may be one of the best features ive installed in my yard since living there.

now to figure out a couple of plants for it...and a fish.

• Calamity_J
    12 years ago

I am planning a small pond just for the birds...etc. I want to cast cement leaves and create a water feature with running water for them.

• catherine200
    12 years ago

We are /still in the process of installing a pond at the end of our mediation garden. My husband and I are excited! Good friends of ours, who have a cabin in the Virginia mountains, have brought us 5 loads of rock... Little by little. We are ready for some water plants, and some other plants to go around it. We are really excited, and can't wait to see the evolution of our newest adventure!

• meyermike_1micha
    12 years ago

Well, that is exactly waht my best friends girlfriend said last summer, and within days, I had a baby frog sitting on a lily pad. How it got there, since I have not seen a frog since I was a teenager I will never know.

It is now getting huge along with another. I did notice a mouse taking a drink the other day, wasn't too excited about that though..

Mike

• gunnersm8
    12 years ago

the birds have been practically living in mine, with little regard for us or the dog. i left some hidey holes for toads/frogs, but im not holding my breath.

it was looking really nice, but the stupid oak tree shed all those little fuzzy worm pollen things and now its black, and those stupid things are everywhere...

still trying to figure out where to get some really small plants for it.

im worried about the rats partaking in it(i think theyre native to the tidewater region, a-holes) and causing yet another population explosion with results much like the birdfeeder experiment of 2010.

• catherinet
    11 years ago

You must also know that when you create a habitat, you might have creatures that you hadn't planned on.......like snakes. But my feelings are, they are welcome too.
    (I hadn't read your possible rat problem gunnersm8.......you'll have to be the judge of that.)

• gunnersm8
    11 years ago

to quote a great mind of my time "snakes, why'd it have to be snakes"

im not a fan, i dont actively engage and destroy them, and i havent seen any in my yard(im in the suburbs, so theres better places to hang out for snakes) and as long as i dont see them, or know of their existence in the yard, im ok.

if i know theyre present, i prefer to see them from afar, and REALLY prefer them to carry on with their snake business without including me...

we have rats(i think its the official state animal), which leads me to believe we dont have snakes, but they rarely do much more than drive the dog nuts and eat my tomatoes/corn.

i guess in the end my mantra is all creatures are invited, good or bad. where we as a society have failed epically, is we remove something from the cycle, and whatever eats it, also leaves, which perpetuates a sad chain of events that is hard to undo.

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler