Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
garyfla_gw

Temporary pond

garyfla_gw
12 years ago

Hi

After 30 years my above ground pool has started to fall apart and needs some serious repair, so need something to hold the fish and plants Was thinking a vinyl kids swimming pool. Cheapest thing I can think of .

Will have to rather large as there are at least a dozen 12 inch GF and several gigantic Waterlily. Any other suggestions?? Thanks gary

Comments (14)

• shakaho
    12 years ago

I was at Walmart the other day and found a 8' diameter kiddie pool. I bought it to use as an emergency pond. It was only about $20.

Here is a link that might be useful: kiddie pool

• garyfla_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi

. Was concerned about the materials. Whatever they use must be incredibly cheap?? lol Hard to believe it could be insoluable??? lol Doesn't seem to be any other choice
    Guess I'd better fill it up and see if it holds water for a couple of days before trusting it lol
    Thanks for the help gary

• catherinet
    12 years ago

I'm sure it would hold water. But do you have animals like dogs/coons around? I'm thinking they could probably pull the side down enough to either break it or let the water out.
    But otherwise, I wouldn't worry about it leaking. But be careful of tearing the bottom with your plants/pots, etc.
    Maybe you could find something on Craig's list?

• sleeplessinftwayne
    12 years ago

When ponding was still new for me there was some sort of catastrophe and I needed a temporary holding pond since the fishies were too large for the trash cans. I used one of the soft sided 3'x 10' round pools from Walmart and it worked just fine. The sides were surrounded by lots of potted plants to deter the critters but nothing ever bothered it and the fish were just fine. They were in it for more than a week. Maybe I was just lucky but the Scarecrow did go off a couple of times.

• shakaho
    12 years ago

I almost bought one of the more expensive, deeper intex pools, but that had an inflated ring around the top. So kitty wants to take a look inside and snags it with a claw. This actually looked safer.

• garyfla_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Catherinet
    Predators has always been my # 1 problem .lol In fact I was unable to keep Gf due to herons, I swithched to tropical fish but a combination of record cold and heater breakdown wiped out the entire stock in 09 Fearing mosquitos I got some 12 for a buck GF and have not lost a single one in fact they are over a hundred now. (Go figure??) Guess the herons are dining in better locations.??
    Went with a 2x10 wading pool which I tested for 24 hours.
    Figured i couldn't wait any longer as the only thing holding one side or the pool together is the liner Some serious rot thanks to termites on one corner .
    i placed the wading pool under a carombola tree and covered with fiber glass screen. As to dogs the yard is fenced still have cats and possums, coons lol
    I've filled it and transferred the fish and plants Pool is now empty except for about 12 inches of muck
    Should be good for some terrestrial potting or beds??
    The reason I didn't notice the rot was the pool is surrounded with terrestrial plants Have removed 5 bags and still more to go.lol I think I may be too old for this job and my wife said I stink, she made me bathe with a garden hose!!! Anyway thanks for the help!!! gary

• groundbeef
    12 years ago

I just used a blow up pool for temporary housing when I dug out my new pond area. Here's what it looked like. Worked fine for 2 days.

Put netting over the top to help keep out critters.

{{gwi:186581}}

• garyfla_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Groundbeef.
    That would sure be a heck of a lot easier to store when not in use. I used one of those flexible side types
    10 feet in diameter lol. The 12 GF are now 103 and I'm sure I missed a bunch of smaller ones, The water hyacinth and lilies have now righted themselves and pushed the window screen 3 feet into the air lol Not doing too much good . I have the rot removed which seem s to be only on one side but it'll probably be another month before i get it repaired So far the only visitors have been the neighbors cats and they are far more interested in the "hole ' than the pool lol Thanks gary

• garyfla_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi
    Saw something I've never seen before !!! Two young squirrels were jumping from the carombola tree into the temporary pool . Had no idea squirrels could swim or they would want to Main problem is when they get out they pull the edge of the pool down have noticed no damage but they have a great set of claws. I put a row of recycle bins around the edge so hopefully they won;t be able to pull the sides down too far.
    I've had every predator ,pest known to man in the past but this is a new one lol have never noticed them around the real pond. If it's for a drink there are two bird bath on the other side of the yard not to mention a feeder.
    GEEESH what next!!! gary

• sleeplessinftwayne
    12 years ago

Gary, try putting something like a towel on the side to give the squirrels a way out.

• shakaho
    12 years ago

I was taking some duckweed from the tub in which I was growing it and saw an eye in a furry face. I fished out a small dead squirrel who hadn't been able to get out of the tub.

• garyfla_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sleepless
    It's ten feet in diameter Don't have that many towels lol The crates should give them a way to get out as well as hold up the sides.
    i assume they were going for a drink but were jumping from the trees lol. I'm learning a LOT about squirrels since my wife added a bird feeder. Never recall seeing them anywhere near the permanent pool .
    I'm sure going to a lot of trouble for my 8.3 cent fish lol Oh well have to have a place to keep the plants anyway.
    gary

• nimbley
    12 years ago

When I remodled my pond I built a temporary pond with cinder blocks and a pond liner. I had a lot of fish, plants, and a couple of turtles so I made the temp about 800 gallons, but you can make it any size. You dont have to worry about critters or pets damaging it but it made for a great buffet for the blue herons. They almost decimated my fish population before I put a screen over it.

• annedickinson
    12 years ago

Gary,

I laughed myself silly when I read "I'm sure going to a lot of trouble for my 8.3 cent fish lol"

I think this often. Between the electricity to keep the fish alive in the winter (and sometimes they die)and the pump in the summer and the cost of food and additives, etc, I have a very expensive hobby for free fish!!!

Anne