Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aggierose_gw

Best preformed pond source?

aggierose
13 years ago

I have conceded to the fact that I'm not going to get the huge pond that I would like,so as a compromise, I am going to start with a small, preformed pond. We just don't have the money to do the large pond right now, and my husband has no desier to have a large pond. Where is best place to get a preformed pond? Anything in particular to look for when purcasing one, or are they all about the same? I'm hoping to get a 200-300 gallon one.

Comments (8)

• ernie_m
    13 years ago

I have a couple of preformed ponds, small one is some 50 or 80 gallons, next to it a larger one of 180-200 gallons. They sit next to each other with a bridge over the dirt between giving the illusion of one large pond. They are on their 3rd year now, they make it fine thru the winter's freeze here on Long Island NY.

While I got the liners for free they are similar to the liners I've seen at Lowes. Home Depot has some too but Lowes seems to keep more on hand by me.

I've never been able to keep the small one as I'd like it so it tends to get used just for plants. Last spring I did use it for a few weeks when draining/cleaning the main pond and something came along one night and ate 3 of 4 large goldfish in there. My friend with the same size pond lost fish in his too. I never lost a fish from the larger pond.

I don't know what got the fish, the only predators around here are cats and the occasional possum.

The larger pond has a shelf on either end I place large pieces of slate over to make a hiding place. I run a Pondmaster pump & filter to keep it clean; the one I have is about 12x12" and I made a holder to keep the pump attached to the filter (otherwise it tends to fall over). It needs to be cleaned out every 3-4 days as the filter clogs. I keep two filters so I have a fresh one to put in while I hose off the other. I also run a large aquarium air pump to keep the O2 levers up. Winters all I run is the air.

The water gets green early in the season until I can get water lettuce (WL) in there. The WL out competes algae for sun & nutrients so the water stays clear. I do have a UV light too, but only turn it on when things get murky early in the season.

These ponds are simple to install, just dig a big flat hole, drop em in, and back fill the edges. Use a level or you will have spots on the sides too high or low. Took me a few years of trial end error to drain, pull up a low spot, drop in some dirt, then refill for the season.

Apart from size I doubt there is much difference in brands. You should be happy with the 2-300 gallon one.

One trick I used: I had no place to get rid of the dirt I dug out, so as this was a corner pond I lined the corner with rail road ties, dug out only partially to seat the ponds, then used the dirt to contain the tops in a now raised bed with sloped front. No one has yet to notice my "natural ponds" are actually on the highest ground in my yard!

• corrie22
    13 years ago

aggie, go to a feed store, like Tractor Supply, and get a stock tank.
    That's what I use for growing out water lilies.
    Corrie

• aggierose
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you Corrie! I think that I am going to buy a 300 gallon stock tank!

• blessedfamily
    13 years ago

I would look on Craigslist, I have seen many in my area for really cheap. Good luck!

• sloigo
    13 years ago

If you have a "freecycle" in your area you might also get lucky there! Karen

• shakaho
    13 years ago

Another vote for the stock tank. Unlike the usual preformed ponds you can use them above ground or partially above. They are built to survive being kicked by horses or leaned on by cows. Since they are completely self supporting, you can hide them with any kind of trim you want.

I really love the 8 foot circular tanks. I've seen stunning ponds made from these.

• vieja_gw
    13 years ago

I have had a 250 gal. freeform pond from Home Depot now for several years & have had not problems with it. It is about 20 in. deep in the center & has shelves for pots of plants around the edge. I would have liked a deeper pond but this one is doing just fine. A neighbor took an old waterbed liner & dug a deeper hole with shelves dug in around the edge & lined it with the bed liner,laid flagstones along the edge & really looks good.

• TrooperRat
    13 years ago

I have 1 of my hard plastic preformed ponds above ground. I had to support the shelves - I put pavers underneath them, but other than that, I've had it there for about 9 months now with no problems. In my area, people are getting rid of these ponds sometimes for free. In fact, in my area, people are shutting down ponds left and right and are giving away the fish, plants and if it's a moveable pond, the pond as well. I've never tried a stock tank but it sounds like it might be pretty cool, too. Whatever the case, in getting a used pond, I go to Ebay and buy a liner to put inside of it. A few extra dollars to ensure I don't have leakage problems.
    Whatever you end up doing, ponding is great fun and also relaxing to sit and watch your fish, listen to the water going over the falls, even in a small pond.

Sponsored
Rodriguez Construction Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading Home Builders in Franklin County, OH