Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pcan_gw

Skippy Installation - Lots of Pictures

pcan
12 years ago

I spent last weekend redoing the pools at the top of my falls and installing two new skippies behind it. It turned out swimmingly ;)

The pools at the top of the falls used to be 2 separate small deep pools with the pump hoses running directly into the pools. This year I dug out the pools combing them into one shallow mini bog (about 4' X 3'). I added a 75 gallon stock tank skippy on one side with a new 1500 GPH pump and a 100 gallon stock tank skippy on the other side running off my 5500 GPH pump, but split the 2" into a 1 1/2" to the skippy and a 2" inch directly to the bog. I made sure there were planting spots around the skippies. Last year the falls and pools were mainly just rock, not much growing up there. This year the skippies will be planted, the bog will be planted and around the skippies will be planted. I am hoping it will be very lush and green.

Here are some pics of the project.

{{gwi:187896}}

{{gwi:187900}}

{{gwi:187904}}

{{gwi:187906}}

{{gwi:187911}}

{{gwi:187915}}

{{gwi:187918}}

{{gwi:187922}}

{{gwi:187924}}

{{gwi:187924}}

{{gwi:187927}}

{{gwi:187928}}

{{gwi:187930}}

{{gwi:187932}}

Comments (37)

• annedickinson
    12 years ago

OMG What a fabulous job you did. Everything looks just great and, I'm sure once summer kicks in, you will be enjoying every minute on your deck over-looking the pond. Good job!!!
    Anne

• casiocarcharger
    12 years ago

that looks look it was done by a professional! Very nice job.

• Calamity_J
    12 years ago

WOW!!! AMAZING! I can't believe it is the same yard that the first picture showed!! Beautiful! Good Job! Enjoy!

• sheepco
    12 years ago

Beautiful! Puts my little skippys to shame, but they sure work!

• catherinet
    12 years ago

Very nice!
    Tell me how you made that floating thing in the water.

• pcan
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I used a sheet of the pink foam from the local HD. It works much better than styrofoam because it can be cut and sanded. The sheet was 4' x 8' I think and cost about 14 bucks. I cut a about 3' x 4' kidney shape with a skill saw. Then I cut three large holes big enough to slide small pots in and a bunch of small holes to put bare root plants in. I sanded the edges smooth. I put moss on top but as everything grows it is covered anyway so no need really. I put a small hole through the center and ran a string tied to a stick on top and a rock on the bottom as an anchor so it doesn't move too much.

Easy peazy and very cheap :)

BTW, the fish love it. It gives them a good hiding spot, plus it has a ll the bare roots hanging down so it is like a floating filter.

Planted
    {{gwi:187933}}

{{gwi:187934}}

• brandy123
    12 years ago

What a terrific idea for making a floating island

• lolauren
    11 years ago

That island is clever. I love your pond...

Do you know the approximate dimensions?

Also, why did you add the skippy containers?

Thanks!

• pcan
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The legnth is 24' and the width is 17' at it's widest points. The deepest part is 40" deep and is about 4'x8' large then it steps up to about 26" deep and then up to about 18" deep then a very shallow 4" deep shelf. I think I am at about 5000 - 6000 gallons. I am not sure but plan on doing some exact measurements this summer.

I added the skippy's because I had no filtration other than plants last year and my plants did not do great so I was concerned. Plus I added koi this year and wanted to have better filtration before adding them.

I chose the skippy design because of the low maintenence with skippy's. I like low maintenence. :)

• granyhuskr
    11 years ago

WOW what a great pond. How many gallons is it. Why did you choose to install two Skippy filters? What did you use for media? Would love to see more pictures as you continue to complete your set up.

• brandy123
    11 years ago

I too am using the skippy filter once I have completed the pond. My question did you put bottom drain in the pond

• pcan
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Granyhuskr, it is around 5000 - 6000 gallons I think.

I used Two skippies because the size of the pond needed 175 gallons but I couldn't get a stock tank bigger than 100 gallons. So I got a 75 gallon and a 100 gallon. The media is those professional floor scrubber disks cup up into small squares.

I should be taking some more pictures within the next week or so, I'll post some. Plants have really started to grow :)

Brandy, I didn't put bottom drains in. It's not a problem though, there are no rocks and I just net out the bottom a couple times a year.

I wanted to keep things simple :)

• pcan
    Original Author
    11 years ago

{{gwi:187936}}

{{gwi:187937}}

{{gwi:187938}}

{{gwi:187939}}

{{gwi:187940}}

{{gwi:187942}}

• brandy123
    11 years ago

The new pictures are beautiful. Did you use the 4" closet flange on both your skippys. Your pond is so clean looking too

• pcan
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I used 2, 2" black outdoor plumbing pipes and a couple fittings. Screwed them together through the holes, put a rubber plumbing washer in between and lots of silicone. I wanted outlets I could put closer to the top so the tanks hole more water.

Thanks about the water clarity, I have been trying to be patient. I had a floating algae outbreak, but it's finally clearing since the plants are growing and the bacteria is growing in the tanks.

Here is a couple pics I took last night. I thought they turned out pretty cool.

{{gwi:187944}}

{{gwi:187946}}

{{gwi:187948}}

• granyhuskr
    11 years ago

Your updated pictures are absolutely beautiful. My Skippy is built and not I have to figure out how to incorporate it into a waterfall for my pond. My filter is 150gal Skippy flowing into a 3500gal pond. How big should I make my waterfall and how high should it be? I don't want the waterfall to overpower the pond but instead accessorize it. How high do you recomment the waterfall outlet be from the top of the pond?

• granyhuskr
    11 years ago

Did you build or have you installed a skimmer box to remove depri from the top water of your pond?

• pcan
    Original Author
    11 years ago

No skimmer, I just net it out when needed which isn't very often. It hasn't been an issue.
    Here is a pic I took today, I can't even see the skippies anymore.

{{gwi:187950}}

grandyhuskr, I don't know how to answer your question. I just kind of built mine till it looked right. The farther the drop off the falls the louder the sound though. I added about 4" of water this year and the falls aren't nearly as loud. Something to consider. Plus, I have heard the longer the stream the better filtration. I don't have a long stream but also something to consider.

• diggery
    11 years ago

A skippy is a wonderful thing, to be sure. The proof is in the pudding and this pudding looks delicious! *chuckle* Just.Wow. Drooling here. TFS, pcan. I always enjoy your posts but this one is a real treat. (ha, and to think, I was proud of my itty bitty skippy on my lil puddle)

We planned on installing a 'real' pond this year but life intervened *sigh* so now looking to begin late winter so it's ready for next ponding season. Your pond description is making me rethink our orginal plan. Do you by chance have drawings and/or construction pics posted here somewhere?

In any event, thanks for the REFRESHING eye candy.

blessings,
    ~digger

• pcan
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Digger! They are addictive aren't they! I have been seeing all different beautiful ponds on this forum and others which has me wantING to add another LOL. Maybe something that is odd shapeD and winds through the patio area rather than a big round or oval pond. No matter how big your pond is, it is never enough LOL.

I do have a photo album of sorts on another forum that shows start to now. I continually update it.

I hope it is not against the rules to link out to another forum. But it would take a very LONG time to re-post all these pictures.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pecan Pond Evolution

• delaney276
    11 years ago

Dude....Looks good....I like....tiki's...burn pit..koi pond...only thing missing is beer LOL!! Great Job!! Dave in WV :-)

• diggery
    11 years ago

pcan...apologies for my [seeming] bad manners. Been here almost every day yet STILL somehow managed to miss your reply. Wouldn't have seen it now if our MIA Dave hadn't bumped it up.

THANK YOU for taking the time to link to your album. Zipped thru it quickly cuz I've got yardwork to attend to before dark-thirty but bookmarked it for later. Lots of inspiration there! Already a new idea forming in my mind (dangerous, lol, dh will be thrilled) Anyhoo, thanks again &
    color me embarassed,
    ~digger

• pcan
    Original Author
    11 years ago

No problem digger, have fun in the yard. :)

delaney, "only thing missing is beer"

That's because I drank it all :( LOL

• mckool
    11 years ago

Greatest floating island idea I've heard to date! by adusting the size of the pot hole, you can have the pot higher or lower depending on the amount of water level the plant will tolerate. May consider replacing my island next season based on this design.

• brandy123
    11 years ago

How deep is your mini bog? Since my pump went out I decided I wanted a waterfall and bog with the skippys so I am doing part of pond over. I like the idea of a mini bog before the waterfall and I keep coming back to yours. I have never seen one that is so beautiful and not many use skippys.

• pcan
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Brandy-Jo It is about 12" deep I think. With about 8" of pea gravel.

• brandy123
    11 years ago

Thank you very much

• granyhuskr
    11 years ago

You pictures were a great help to me in getting my Skippy installed. Now I am in the process of landscaping around it.

• Lori_Carlos
    11 years ago

That is SO beautiful!! Such a great backyard oasis. One of these days....... lol

• gardeninhabitant
    11 years ago

WOW! Such big stock tanks! No wonder the water is so clear!

• ChrissieC
    11 years ago

Absolutely fabulous!! And I love the willow tree as a back drop which I've been thinking about doing and am now convinced will work to perfection.

• NCgardenmouse
    10 years ago

Pcan- OMG!! No words can truly describe how beautiful your pond & surrounding gardens look to me. I have been following the "ponds & aquatic plants" forum for about a month now, (sure wish I had found this web site a year ago when I started to build my pond!) & have learned sooooo much from all the posters. Most of all, I have been introduced to the concept of 'pond envy'; Thanx alot! LOL
    Seriously though, your work is great & I hope your pond is still giving you pleasure over a year later. I have found that the only thing more addicting than pond keeping is looking at all the ponds on this web site!
    Again, Thanx for the eye candy; I'm not a bit jealous-I'm not, I'm not, I'm not.......
    Sami

• pcan
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hello everyone! It has been a while so I thought I would post updated pictures. Here is my pond as of today. :)

{{gwi:187960}}

{{gwi:187961}}

• duddlydoright
    10 years ago

Nice, very nice, expansive pond. Been toying around with a island for a while now.

• diggery
    10 years ago

Lovely as always!

• brandy123
    9 years ago

beautiful-How is your pond doing now with skippy filter since it has been couple years