Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
snots34

Duckweed over taking pond

snots34
10 years ago

Well, Spring is here again.

I have, in my backyard, a pond that is about a quarter to half an acre in size. Not exactly sure about it's depth, but it was originally dug for 15 feet. I believe the deepest part is around 10 feet.

Anyhow, I purchased the home Mid to Late June last year, so the pond was covered in what I believed to be duck weed. They were small flat green leaves. If you are familiar with shogun shell gun powder, this is what they looked like.

I could skim this stuff of the top with a net, but the hole would fill in almost immediately.

Since it is spring now and I have the chance to halt or curb the problem before it begins, I would like some advice on how to keep this stuff from covering my pond this year.

A friend of mine has offered the advice and materials to treat it with copper sulfate -but that was used to clear moss. Which I could not find in my pond last year. Only these tiny thin leaf things. Again, I am under the impression that they were duckweed or duckwart.

Any advice? There is a small portion open from the ice, but after tomorrow, the pond should be completely clear of ice. I have 3 geese in it now. I am looking to re-stock with game fish this spring......if I can keep this plant from covering the whole pond.

Thank you in advance for your valued assistance.

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner