Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
reads_n_writes

pondless fountain

reads_n_writes
13 years ago

Hi all,

I'm thinking of putting in a pondless fountain--possibly several. I have some large 55 gallon plastic drums that I plan to use for the reservoirs and some leftover plastic sheeting from a greenhouse project to direct water back to the container. These fountains will be in low spots where water tends to pool after it rains. I'd like to make these spots more than just areas of unsightly dead grass.

So, what I need to know is, what do you think would be the best/most reliable/lowest maintenance/most efficient pump I could buy for this project? I plan to use metal grating and hardware cloth to cover the top then have it lined with rocks with a bubbler or small fountain and a dish for water to pool-in/ drip from.

I've never done anything like this before. What do you think? Is the idea sound? Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

Alina

Here is a link that might be useful: www.alinabklein.com

Comments (6)

• ernie_m
    13 years ago

Well... you don't see many answers cause we all have PONDS. [grin]

For a pump suggestion you can't go wrong with a Pondmaster pump. They are a very efficient design, with the electronic part all sealed with an opening where the impeller goes. The impeller is the part that wears out after 3+ years, and they sell replacements. Keeping it clean is the only maintenance, mine needed to be disassembled and wiped out this spring after laying dormant at my pond bottom all winter. I don't expect to have to touch it till next year.

This is my 4th year with it. The original impeller died shortly after I bought it but the store I bought it from did a warranty replacement for it and that has run fine. I even have one in my hot tub that pumps hot chemical laden water that ran 2 years before needing a new impeller, now on its 3rd year.

You will need a pre-filter to keep it from sucking up leaves, twigs, and it is also best to keep sand out of it too. The pre-filter will be your main maintenance headache as it will need frequent cleaning (which you will know when the fountain turns to a trickle).

• reads_n_writes
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you so much, Ernie!

Too bad there isn't a pondless fountain forum. :P I appreciate your help, though, despite my pondless status! ;)

I will look into a Pondmaster. Any idea what size would be most appropriate for a 55 gallon drum? I will research...

Thanks again.

• mgeca
    13 years ago

Pondless fountain posts are not unusual on the forum. Do a search where it says "before you submit..." and you will find helpful information.

• ernie_m
    13 years ago

The size you need... that's a good question. It just depends on how high you want the fountain to spray.

Maybe drop by some garden centers that have some fountains and pick their brains about what size they have in something you see that fits your imagination.

• mgeca
    13 years ago

Alina, also search pondless waterfall. I hope you haven't given up on us--there is a lot of advice to sift through and sort out here. My pond would be all the poorer without it.
    Mike

• reads_n_writes
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks again, Ernie, and thanks, Mike. :) I did do a search before I posted, but it probably wasn't as in-depth as it should have been. I will look a little deeper now.

And, Mike, I really appreciate your going the extra mile for my sake. I hadn't given up--yet. ;) I truly appreciate your kindness.

And, if I turned people off by posting my website link, I apologize. It's new and I'm excited. *shrugs* Clicky or no clicky, it's all the same to me. I just can't see an "Optional Link Url" blank and fail to consider that option... ;)

Sponsored
Miller Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Franklin County's Trusted Custom Cabinetry Solutions