Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maximus315

Building a new pond need advice

maximus315
12 years ago

I am building updating my pond (the old line has developed holes with help from the dog) and I have a few questions that I am hoping you can help with.

First the information on the new pond:

3000-4000 gallon pond

Michigan weather (0F � 100F)

About 50 medium 3-4 inch gold fish (want to add some koi maybe)

Direct sunlight � some shade from tree and house (early and late in the day)

Few plants in the pond but not many

45mil liner with Rock side and a shallow area covered in rock (dog) the deep area will be left clear liner.

Small water fall from 3600gph pump looking to add a second pump 4500gph for biofilters

Currently have (1) 55 gallon biofilter looking to add a second (parallel)

Questions:

1. What type of piping do you recommend for buried pipe? Rigid PVC or flex piping? If rigid pvc is sch 40 ok? I am looking at 2-3 inch for flow rates.

2. I am using submersible pumps. Where do you guys hide your pumps? I don�t like having the pump and hose draped across the bottom of the pond. I am looking at a savio skimmer unit with additional secondary feed line to protect the pumps (just thinking of using this to hide the pumps not so much as a filter). Can I just bury a 30 gallon drum and run 2-3 3inch pipes to it from the pond? I will put R-matala over the entrance of the savio and pipe to protect my fish and frogs.

3. Does burying the biofilter effect the bacteria efficiency? I currently have a 55 gallon drum gravity bottom to top flow biofilter made with scrubbies. The filter was partially buried because there is no place to hide it. Bio filters are not as cheap as everyone thinks A 55 gallon filter = 7.5 cuft = 192 scrubbies/cu ft with 6 scrubbies for $1 the 55 gallons = $236 just for media.

4. What does everyone use for bulkheads to the side of the drums (for bottom valves). I have to come off the sides of the drums for the bottom valve (this allows me to bury the 55gal drums and still flush).

5. What does everyone use for pipe penetrations into the liner.

6. What pond foam do you recommend? I am putting rocks along the perimeter vertical wall 24inches (to keep dog off the liner). I will need to lock the rocks in place so if he climbs them they don�t move.

Comments (5)