Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
fencing for a container pond ?

Posted by kitteh 6 ohio (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 4, 13 at 14:02

Do you need (required by law that is) to fence a 25 gallon container pond if it's in the front yard garden in the town ? You know, in case negligent parents let a baby wander away and it might fall in yet you would get blamed .....

And if yes can it be just a small 'edging' fence?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: fencing for a container pond ?

Kitteh,

Each jurisdiction has their own rules, so you would need to check for your own city.
I just did the same search and found my 22 inch deep preformed pond I will put in the front yard soon is not deep enough to be considered a swimming pool (your local statutes will have definitions).
However, my front yard will be enclosed by a 4 foot picket fence which actually conforms to part of the regulations (I started the fence prior to deciding to have a pond).
Many 'swimming pool' statutes require a 4 foot fence with no gaps more than 4 inches, it seems unlikely that your little pond will trigger the statute but if it does, you have to comply with whatever ordinances your local jurisdiction has passed.
Also, simply because there are no pertinent statutes does not assure that you have no liability depending on the situation, especially when children are involved and the pond might be judged an 'attractive nuisance'..

Here is a link that might be useful: Attractive Nuisance

This post was edited by lucille on Mon, Mar 4, 13 at 14:53

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here