Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sami46

Frog dead or hibernating?

sami46
16 years ago

Hi all

I was looking at my pond this morning (I live in MA zone 5a/4b and it's cold, rainy and miserable today so all I can do is look at my pond) and I noticed a frog laying spread eagle on the bottom of my pond, the water temp is above freezing but not by much. My marsh marigold are just starting to green up. I do keep a heater on all winter to keep an air hole open for my fish and frogs. Anyway what do you think? I will adopt a wait and see attitude for now, but wanted to know what the experts thought,

Sami

Comments (14)

• horton
    16 years ago

Sami, there is a good chance the frog is still sleeping out the winter and I would just leave it be.
    I hope it is okay and there is evey chance it is,but only time will tell for sure.
    "Horton"

• pikecoe
    16 years ago

My vote is: Dead Sorry Glenda

• pikecoe
    16 years ago

I like Horton's vote better. But I don't think frogs hybernate "spread eagle" especially if it is belly up. Glenda

• kenneyclone
    16 years ago

If it's tummy side up it is dead. Frog's do have the capability to hibernate in a pond, but this one sounds dead, sorry.

• horton
    16 years ago

I did not read where Sami stated that the frog was belly side up?
    She said it was spread eagled, that is face down, limbs spread out to the side.
    That is the way some types of frogs winter at the bottom of the pond.
    That particular frog could still be okay, hopefully?
    "Horton"

• Eleanor B
    16 years ago

Every spring I have some frogs that make it through the winter and some do not. ( I will say that the ones that don't make it are usually found spread-eagle.) For the future---I remember reading on this forum that unlike fish, who instinctively go to the bottom of the pond as the temperature decreases, frogs do not. They will bury themselves in soil to hibernate, but in a koi pond with a clean bottom, they will sometimes go into hibernation on a higher shelf and freeze. It was suggested on this forum to put layers of quilt batting on the bottom and shelves and hold it down with rocks for the frogs. I have not actually tried this myself. . . just passing along info I read.

• comettose
    16 years ago

I agree with Horton - if it is not belly up it may not be dead. Just wait it out. I don't know if my frogs spread their legs or not as I have never seen them on the bottom in winter, but I know they are all down there.

• jeffahayes
    16 years ago

I'd wait it out, for sure, Sami.

I KNOW any of the true "water frogs" WILL go to the bottom of the pond and just "affix themselves" to the bottom however they can and wait it out by going into estivation, similar to hibernation. They lower their metabolism to a point where their heart is barely beating and they're essentially in a state of suspended animation and able to absorb what little oxygen they need through their skin... If there's an extended warm period, they may come to the surface and swim around occasionally, but I wouldn't disturb one that's on the bottom while the weather is still cool, because if it IS still in estivation, its energy reserves may be VERY LOW, and as there really isn't ANYTHING for it to eat this time of year, if you wake it up, it may die for sure using energy swimming around and then trying to go back into estivation and wake up again.

If it's still there a month or so from now, I'd get a long-handled net, pick it up and if it doesn't move, toss it away with a ceremonial croak.

Good luck!
    Jeff

• gary_runningwood_org
    14 years ago

Today I was cleaning out our pond and found one of our frogs spread eagle with her tongue sticking out. I thought for sure it was dead and that I killed it somehow. But sure enough it started to move and then later it was looking normal and luck for me it was a warm day. I think I will wait until further in to summer to clean the pond next time. I thought the frogs had all left the pond because it had been so long since I last saw them. Your frog is probably just hibernating, like mine were.

• Colbydirks_gmail_com
    13 years ago

Hello,

To have the same problem but I have a 35 or 40 dead ones a year an I have talked to all kinds of experts and they all wounded why this is. My koi pond is 6 feet deep an well over 5000 gallons an I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions. My ph an ammonia levels are all ok to.

Thank you

• catherinet
    13 years ago

Colby.......what a bummer! Did you have some big temperature fluctuations this year? I lost several the year that it was real warm in the winter for a little while and then turned cold again. They come out of hibernation when it warms up but can't slow down their metabolism fast enough when it gets cold again, and they can die.

• Sherrie Stieberitz
    3 years ago

I found a frog and bullfrog tadpole like this today as well. I am going with the wait a month idea. When they float to top it’s time for taps ☹️

• HU-223534986
    3 years ago

Well... I have a story and question or two or three....For me, I shall try to be brief... Suffice it to say I recused a very small frog while I was mowing the grass last year. He had hopped out in front of the mower and I was able to scoop him up before the blade got him.. I had placed him in a small gallon-sized “plastic critter” carrier .. placed some substrate and water and a medium-sized stone or two. I had left him outside under the shelter of some trees by my shed for the season. Supplying him with crickets and the like until it got to be late fall. Since he had been thriving, I decided to bring he and the container inside for the winter. Our cat Chloe took a very strong liking to “ Freddie”. Not in a menacing or threatening way.. She just enjoyed watching him swim around or crawl up on the fake plastic-like basking area.. The cat will just place her front paws around the carrier and literally “hold on to him”.. During the winter I would pick the carrier up and place it in front of the window so he could get some sun etc.

Now flash forward to this last week… The frog had not gone into hibernation etc as the temps in the living room had been between 70-75 inside. . And as the temps have been spring-like in NH the last few weeks I have been taking the carrier with Freddie outside to enjoy the sunlight for about an hour or so etc…

Freddie has been eating mealworms, little bits of red wiggle’s and of course crickets… Flash forward to last night… I noticed a moth attached to the side of the front door on the porch and brought it in for Freddie.. The moth fluttered around inside the carrier and he caught it . I noticed a hint of one of the wings still showing out the corner of his mouth…. Looked as if he were smoking a cigar!...

anyway, before I retired to bed- Chloe of course was knurled around here buddy- I then said I might as well give him a cricket or two. Yet when I looked inside I couldn’t see the frog.. I then mildly panicked.. I took off the lid and still couldn’t see the frog.. I then gulped and moved the plastic basking rock.. There was Freddie motionless .. I touched him and he was floating on his back and noticed that the corner of his mouth appeared to have a bit of his tongue protruding.. I carefully picked him up---- and I knew he was gone. I took him to the sink in the kitchen. I held him and gently massaged his legs and stomach.. . I carefully tried to message around his mouth to see if it would open yet it appeared to be fused shut. A moment later I was able to get the jaws parted a tiny bit and I even tried to blow inside to get some air inside of him no luck… Oh yes, the temperature in the house has been around 70 – 75 … My mind was racing as I knew Chloe would be looking for her friend if not right now in the morning. So I placed Freddie back in the carrier.. gently trying to prop him up on the fake rock….. I was now around 3am.. As I went to bed I was checking online for any pet store that might have simple Leopard frogs etc.. I then vowed I would have to find a toad or frog at a pet store today because Chloe would be looking for her Freddie.. I got up around 830AM intent on scouring around the outside of the house for any froglike creature.. Chloe was sleeping on the couch as I entered the living room .. I carefully knelt down by Freddie’s little carrier to see if he was still propped up on the rock or if he had slid into the water on his back… I noticed that he had obviously fallen back as I could see his outline in the murky brown. I thought to myself at least he wasn’t on his back. I then ventured back a few minutes later and I couldn’t see where he was--- HE WAS (IS) ALIVE and had moved over to the rock- he is breathing!... Now I have had frogs and toads for years.. yet this takes it. The frog was limp, mouth shut etc.. and the temps were 70 plus.. so what happened?? A blessed frog miracle? Jim B Rochester NH