Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
albert_135

My spouse has developed a fascination with string algae

My spouse has developed a fascination with string algae.
Here is the history. An old hot tub was converted into an outdoor fish-tank. She then took a course in solar power and fitted the thing with a solar pump and a venturi for aeration.

When she went to do the spring cleaning there was yards and yards of string algae at the intake to the pump and she is fascinated, completely obsessed with the stuff. "That is the most fascinating [expletive] I have ever seen." "Can it be turned into something useful?" That sort of curiosity.

Please recommend links where she could read more than most people would every want to know about the biology/botany of string algae.

Comments (10)

• mike_il
    13 years ago

I don't know of a website but you can tell your spouse that one acre of algae can make 14,000 gallons of biodiesel per year.
    Mike

• sleeplessinftwayne
    13 years ago

LOL! The first thing a gardener thinks of is how does it do as fertilizer! There are many links to the subject but I have a tendency to stray to coverage of different forms of algae. One of the most interesting is red algae which in normal conditions can have many uses including food and in too large numbers becomes known as the red tide, a deadly form that decimates sea life.

If your wife is interested in more than just string algae, my favorite resource is "Ron's Pond Scum".

Here is a link that might be useful: Ron's Pond Scum

• albert_135   39.17°N 119.76°W 4695ft.
    Original Author
    12 years ago

She spread a sheet of some string algae out on a flat rock and determined that dried it has a resistance to tear and puncture somewhere between toilet paper and cheap paper towels. No use for this observation yet.

She twisted some into a twine and determined that if it allowed to dry somewhat, but not entirely, it can be used for macrame. She does not have enough to do a complete experiment yet.

I find it curious that this one developed in cold water. We did not see it last summer. Now that the water temperature is getting to 50F most days I don't see much of it anymore.

• diggery
    12 years ago

ROFLOL! Here I'm thinkin your spouse & I might just be long-lost cousins.Tell her to be sure & post the results of all her experiments *grin*

bless ya's
    ~digger

• horton
    12 years ago

"......and determined that dried it has a resistance to tear and puncture somewhere between toilet paper and cheap paper towels. No use for this observation yet."

Unless you become a contestant on"Survivor"!

• Min3 South S.F. Bay CA
    12 years ago

another (personally unfortunate) scientific observation about string algae: if a pile of it is left lying wet on a smooth walking surface, you can slip on it and sprain a wrist. perhaps it could be used as an under water lubricant?
    also, my dog thinks it is very tasty. pet food ingredient?
    min

• horton
    12 years ago

Min, be very careful about allowing your dog to ingest algae, as some forms of algae are toxic and could kill or at the very least make your dog extremely ill.

Here is a link that might be useful: Toxic Algae

• Min3 South S.F. Bay CA
    12 years ago

thanks very much for the link, horton- i had no idea! fortunately my dogs are rarely allowed in the part of the property where the ponds are, so i can make sure that the one who likes algae won't have another chance to eat it.
    min

• annedickinson
    12 years ago

I love string algae too when it is in the stream. If it gets too thick, I just twist some out on a branch. I like reading about how your wife is experimenting with it.

• eyecndiggit
    12 years ago

It makes great Halloween decorations.