Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chubbypoptart

Goldfish question

chubbypoptart
13 years ago

Hello i just started a pond and have four goldfish (the cheapies) and two shubunkins all are an inch or less. I have them in a 150gallon preformed pond. My question is can i buy slightly larger shubunkins maybe like a few inches longer or will they hurt the smaller ones? Will it be too crowded the pond seems extremely empty.

Comments (8)

• ernie_m
    13 years ago

I wouldn't buy any more fish. I started my pond with the same cheapie goldfish (actually sold as feeder fish for .27 each) and you would be amazed how big they grow and fast too! By the end of the summer don't be surprised if they are all 5-6 inches long. That is plenty of fish for a 150 gallon pond. I keep but 4 fish in my 250 gallon pond and it looks full not that they have grown.

However, I don't know nuthin about shubunkins.

• Sheribuch711
    13 years ago

I bought 6 goldfish for the pond I built (28 cent each)everything was fine for the first year, the second year, they had babies which there suppose to eat (right), I now have 100 + baby goldfish in a pool in the basement, didn't have the heart to kill them, gonna put them back in the pond next month, my big gold fish started out under 1", they are now pushing 10", so be prepared unless your lucky enough to have bought all one sex (lol)....
    Good Luck and post a pic of your pond so we all can see... here a small pic of my pond I rebuilt in spring 2010
    {{gwi:181449}}
    Sheri

• annedickinson
    13 years ago

I agree with Ernie and Sheri. You have almost too many fish now and will be swamped with them as they mature and reproduce. If you are lucky they will eat most of the eggs and tiny babies.

I have a 160 gal pond and keep just two adult fish. The first year they were old enough to reproduce I ended up with over 40 babies that made it to 2" long. It was a lot of work finding homes for them.

As your fish grow to their full length (around 10") your pond won't look so empty.

Anne

• chubbypoptart
    Original Author
    13 years ago

thanks guys for being helpful and not rude like yahoo answers (lol) your pond is gorgeous btw! I'd be ashamed to post a pic of my "pond" how it looks now. It's just a black plastic preform on my porch with goldfish in it for now haha i plan to put a water lily plant and eventually put it in the ground (we rent right now) so no digging for me as of now:( but cant wait to see how big my itty bitty fish get:) again thankyou!

• garyfla_gw
    13 years ago

Hi
    Would agree with the others . I kept tropical fish for most of the life of my pond until the freeze of 08. Had a total wipeout. Fearing mosquitoes got some feeder goldfish
    10 for a buck lol. Now have well over a hundred and spring is just starting lol
    Is there a solution to the over populating?? Hadthe same problem with tropicals but BIG difference between 3 inch fish and 12 lol.
    I'm thinking some type of predatory fish just big enough to eat the offspring, but what type and how to avoid the same problem but different species?? Any ideas??? gary

• corrie22
    13 years ago

gary, I keep african cichlids with mine.
    Any of the Haps, Aulonocara, etc are beautiful and easy to sex. I have all males, because I ran into the same problem with the cichlids having babies too.

• ernie_m
    13 years ago

Oh the poor babies!

I have a 200 gallon fish pond next to an 80 gallon plant only pond. My second year I noticed itty bitty fishies in the plant pond. Wow, goldfish! I put some in a 1 1/2 gallon tank and took them to work. Some I gave away, kept other in that pond but lost them over winter.

They must have come over as eggs in plants from the main pond, but I still call them Jesus Fish, cause obviously Jesus thought I needed more fish.

I thought they were goldfish but it turns out they have barbells so they are really koi and not goldies. So far they seem OK in their new 5 gallon tank but I expect them to outgrow that in mere months.

I pray I get no more fish!