Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tropicofcancer

Do I need to heat this small pond?

I built a concrete pond last year which probably about 600 gallons capacity. Not sure really since it has a curved side and I did not estimate its capacity accurately enough. Three sides are surrounded by dirt but the fourth side is exposed to elements. This side is approximately 3 feet high and 5 feet long. I have not filled it water yet. I will do it this year after I waterproof it. There are going to be plants only if anything and also to use it to collect rainwater for the garden. No fish. May be frogs if they find their way in their. The water height will come to about 28 inches.

My question is do I need to have a small heater in this pond for the winter? Or is it going to be OK through winter in zone 6b? If a heater is needed what size/brand will be enough?

I still have to finish the outside surface of the exposed part. I was thinking may be a 1.5 inch insulating foam board with plywood/stucco type finish. Will a foam board make any difference (thermally) or is it not worth it?

Comments (9)

• sleeplessinftwayne
    12 years ago

In your area, zone 6, it would be very unlikely that you would need a heater. In fact a heater is not needed for a pond in any zone unless you have tropical fish and then the cost would be prohibitive. A de-icer is used in some cases where there is a thick ice cover on the pond but it is not a heater.

It is not necessary to heat the entire volume of water, all you need is a hole in the ice. An aerator would do the job just fine at far less cost.

• nkm56
    12 years ago

I agree. I'm in 6b and my pond started out at around 800 gallons, just a little more than yours. I would sometimes get a crusting of ice around the edges, but it never froze over completely. As has been said, a de-icer might be needed in extremely cold winters, but not a heater.

• tropicofcancer (6b SW-PA)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks both of you. The reason I am worried is that one side of the pond is exposed and not protected by soil. Do you still think the pond will be OK with a bubbler/de-icer to keep a small hole open? The concrete is about 6 inches thick on the exposed side.

• nkm56
    12 years ago

I think it'll be fine. As long as the pond surface does not completely freeze over, there shoudl be no problems.

• tropicofcancer (6b SW-PA)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

OK. This year will be the first year of experiment with a pond. I have to research into some useful/interesting water plants.

• chas045
    12 years ago

I have a 700gal pond + stream. I keep the water running all year and this keeps a hole in the pond in winter. Two years ago, however, my pump failed and the pond froze over for a month. You could stand on it! Actually the hose to the stream got disconnected and the pond water was continually disturbed by internal circulation until I turned it off when I thought the pump was broken.

In any case, the fish were fine under the frozen surface. My lillies are fine down there also.

• Joe_Garay
    10 years ago

Have any of you tried to use this pond heater? I have a 300 gallon stock tank in my green house and planning on making this device to heat my fish.. I wanted to post on this blog to see if anyone has seen or experienced this device?

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_DMiYSoffBA

-jG.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pond Heater

• HU-315514213
    3 years ago

So I built a backyard pond it is about 200-300 gallons of water I am getting a turtle koi fish and gold fish my question is do I need a water heater for my pond since it’s small.

• HU-315514213
    3 years ago

I have a small pond in my backyard it homd about 300 gallons of water I have a turtle koi fish and gold fish in it also frogs do I need to have a water heater for this or would I be fine ? I live in Iowa

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional