Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shelly12378

News Flash! Moore Spotted in Colorado Pond

shelly12378
12 years ago

I decided to let my Moore overwinter outdoors along with the other fish in my pond. I was pretty nervous about it, all the posts I had seen insisted that the Black Moore IS NOT a hardy fish. And it would not survive a Colorado Winter. But on the other hand, he seemed real happy with his fish buddies and I could not stand netting him out of his home and forcing him to overwinter in a little 10 gallon tank (my only indoor option). Today 3/11 a little of the ice melted on one section of the pond (the remaining ice is around 4" thick). I stood looking in for awhile and saw quite a few fish resting down in the 2-3ft depths. And there, hanging with his buddies still...was the Moore!

I would post a photo of the Moore with the ice floes but he is black and the liner is black so tough to get on film! I will try and see if I can get a shot when the sun is shining directly onto the pond!

Comments (8)

• kalevi
    12 years ago

The black moor is a goldfish just like all the other varieties.

• pcan
    12 years ago

Wow Shelly, sounds like you guys get pretty cold. I am in Utah and my ice has been gone since Jan and only got maybe an inch thick this winter. My water temps are now 55' and rising fast. I wouldn't have thought we were that different as far as temps go. Are you up high in the mountains?

Congrats on the Moore making it. Sounds like a special little guy. :)

• shelly12378
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I am not really high up, only near to Denver. We had several late season snows, and the ice on the pond built and built. The pond is on the north side of the house and gets little winter sun. Today after several 65 degree days my water is only 41 degrees! I wish I had 55 degree water :) I would start looking at adding some water hyacinth.

• shelly12378
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yes, I agree the Moore IS a goldfish so I don't know why it would need special treatment. Looking at it that way.

Just for some reason I had always been told the "fancies" like Orandas, Moores, other Fantails, Pearl Scales, etc, those were "non-hardy" types and unsuited to ponds.

The Moore ended up in the pond last summer because he was nibbling the tail of an Oranda in the indoor 20 gal. tank. We moved him out because we thought it unlikely he could catch up with the big Shubunkin or Koi and take a nibble! And he has not... nibbled anyone. Interestingly outdoors he likes to hang around with the smallest fry the best. And they hang around him too. The big fish totally ignore him, like he is invisible to them.

• bulldinkie
    12 years ago

Yes we have a few moores in our pond cute,thier big eyes.

• buyorsell888
    12 years ago

The reason that moors, orandas and fantails are described as non suitable for ponds is because they don't swim very well. They are easy prey. They are also easily out competed for food and injured during spawning.

They also often have swim bladder issues in deep water and they often have fleshy areas of their bodies, like the moors eyes, that are easily damaged on rocks.

Has nothing to do with them not being able to take cold temperatures....

• marilyn_c
    12 years ago

Exactly what buyorsell said. They are Chinese origin and can take cold better than they can take heat.

• sunnyaz
    12 years ago

I'm a couple hours south of Denver and my Wakin goldfish actually spawned this morning! I have an above ground pond and put straw bales around it in the winter time....This is my second winter in Colorado for my pond...I was surprised that my parrots feather and pennywort have lived through the winter. ( = My lotus I stored in a tub in garage and it is sending up new leaves! ( =

Sponsored
Ngrained Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Custom Woodworking, Décor, and More in Franklin County