Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is it that I need?

Posted by catherinet z5 (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 21, 12 at 16:40

I have a 300 gallon in ground stocktank. I have a small waterfall that is made up of about 5 flat rocks on top of each other. I'm tired of the water coming out of just one little tube for the waterfall. Is there something I can buy that would spread out the water flow more? I was thinking I could make one by putting a Y-connector on the end of the tube and then fasten 2 short pieces of tubing to that.
What I'd really like is something that would fit in the present tube (that brings water over the rocks) and be flat......maybe 4-5" wide, so the water would fall over the rocks in a wider stream.
Any suggestions?
Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is it that I need?

• Posted by pcan 7 UT (My Page) on
    Wed, Mar 21, 12 at 17:40

You could use a kitty litter box as a pool at the top. Place the tube in the kitty litter box and let it overfow out the low side (where the kitties walk in and out) onto your rock waterfall. Just make sure you angle everything just right as not to loose any water.

Small overflowing pools above waterfalls do wonders making the water spread out more naturally rather than the tube/hose pumped straight to the falls.

Here is a link that might be useful: A kitty litter box like this one

o

Hi Catherinet, Do you have any flexible tubing? A "T" connector with short extensions of flexible tubing could allow you to direct the water where you want. A way to spread the water with rigid pipe would be to drill a line of holes in lengths of the pipe, cap the open ends and attach them to the "T" connector. You would have to clean them out occasionally but that is a minor problem. I often have scraps and odds and ends around so either would cost me nothing.

I have some semi-flexible irrigation tubing I could adapt that would be perfect for small pipes. It can be bent to shape with a heat gun. It can curve to fit or be hidden and holes could be cut where I wanted a drip or flow. I could even use the drip or spray attachments for drama. The effect is controlled by the force of the water, of course

A third way would be to make a dam with cuts where you want the water to spill. The most forgiving material would be Great Stuff foam, the most permanent, mortar. Placing rocks in the path of the spill can direct the flow dramatically. You can change it at a whim. If the flow is strong enough it can even be air borne. Nature does it all the time.

There are probably a lot of other methods that are cheap or free. Look around and see what you have on hand.

o

This is how we created a wide flow of water. It worked great and was easy to create. You can drill as many or few holes as you want.

Finished Skippy

I have also thought of maybe a plastic funnel squashed flat, but I don't know that the water would fan out naturally.

Good luck. Let us know how you solved this.
Anne

o

Thanks everyone! Lots of good suggestions! I'll let you know what I eventually do.
Thanks again!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here