Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
killer frog (not bull) caution / graphic

Posted by alyceskis CT (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 27, 12 at 18:08

Looked out kitchen window and saw a struggling full grown Sparrow. Ran out, got my net to help the little guy out. That's when I noticed one of my 3 grown frogs had the Sparrow's rear end in it's mouth. I pushed the frog thinking it would release the Sparrow.... frog dived to bottom with Sparrow in it's mouth. Then bobbed back up... Mr/Ms Sparrow was dead and Mr. Killer Frog contined to gulp down. Got my digital cause I couldn't believe frog same size and maybe smaller than Sparrow was gulping the Sparrow down.

I've enjoyed my Pond for over 8 yrs and this is a first !!

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: killer frog (not bull) caution / graphic

I have about 9 large bullfrogs in my koi pod. Many years ago I had one that was HUGE. I saw a commotion one day on the bank of the pond, and ran to see one of my frogs with the head of a large blackbird in it's mouth, flailing it's wings. He jumped into the pond, and I later found the bird floating, without the frog. he just couldn't get it down. They are voracious eaters and will try to eat anything that moves!

o

Are you certain its not a bullfrog??

o

My frogs have been around for years and have remained the same size once grown. If this is a bullfrog he's a baby that has just shown up in my pond. How do you tell if it's a bullfrog other than size and sound? Years ago I purchased 2 bullfrog tadpoles. The following year I removed both because they were too huge for my pond and very loud. This is not the case unless it's a baby bull

o

Whenever my frogs get large enough to eat birds they get relocated, there are always more that show up and I allow the smaller ones to stay.

o

My sisternlaw put koi pond in,went out one morning, bullfrogs sitting at the edge with big koi in its mouth.

o

Alyceskis - Bullfrogs are much larger than the regualr strains of bullfrogs, and the males have bright yellow throats & mouths. You can also tell by their croaks - VERY deep like a bellows. Bullfrog tadpoles also are a 2 year tadpole, meaning they hatch after 2 years as a tadpole, whereas other species hatch the same year the hatch from eggs...

o

Looks like bullfrogs to me. They will eat anything they can catch. Which is why they cause such problems for native wildlife in areas where they are not native themselves....

A friend saw one grab and swallow a duckling once at a golf course...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here