Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
sodium bezenite for sealing ponds

Posted by herodhobert-2010 4 (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 14, 10 at 18:20

Has anyone out there used sodium benzinite to seal their pond or lake bottoms? I checked up on the ESS-13 emulsified vegetable oil and Its too expensive for me.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: sodium bezenite for sealing ponds

Sodium Bentonite. I've used it and it works well. Depends on a lot of factors, like soil type and where the leakage is occurring.
I'd be happy to help if I can. Pics would be helpful.
Bubba

o

Bentonite Clay?

Bentonite based products have been used for many years to line lake bottoms and to seal foundations walls.

It may be used on ponds and lakes more often where you have it naturally occurring, so to defray some of the costs... I think parts of Colorado have it naturally occurring... lately, panel products have become available.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bentonite Building Products Info

o

I think the clay they use in kitty litter will work. You would have to get the cheap stuff that has no scent or other additives...only the clay.

o

I understand that kitty litter is fired or baked, so it doesn't work the same as raw bentonite. Of course,I could be wrong... I use kitty litter in the pots with pond plants; it stays in the pot better than soil.
Lee

o
RE: sodium bentonite for sealing ponds

• Posted by Halepb Ottawa Gatineau (My Page) on
    Wed, Jul 10, 13 at 20:54

Looking for a source of sodium bentonite for a40' x 40' pond. How much should I buy and what will it cost in bulk or by the bag?

Any good sources of "how to" information on the web?

Thanks in advance for your help.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here