Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
String Algae/Pump Filter

Posted by lola6964 5 (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 29, 14 at 20:20

Hi,
I'm in Zone 5 and have 2 half-barrel ponds, with three small goldfish in each. I've kept the filter running, as well as a bubble stone in each barrel over the winter. I also put small stock tank heaters in each to keep the water from freezing, which kept the water temp at about 40 degrees all winter. I fed the fish 1-2 times per week, which I now see I shouldn't have done.

I have a Tetra Whisper filter and am wondering if I should change the filter cartridge? I've rinsed the cartridge with pond water several times to clean it, but it is looking really grungy. But I don't want to remove the good bacteria in the existing cartridge if that's going to be an issue.

Also, what to do about the massive amount of string algae? I remove some weekly with a toilet brush, but as my ponds are so small, there's so much in there that my fish can hardly swim around. Or will it dissappear on it's own once my plants start growing again?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: String Algae/Pump Filter

Hey there lola. The filter may very well be clogged. It probably needs a more aggressive cleaning with just a good jet of water. The bacteria will regenerate very quickly.

The string algae can be controlled with Hydrogen peroxide. With such a small size to treat you won't need more than a couple of ounces per treatment. I would put the peroxide in a squeeze bottle to better control where it goes. Spray directly on the algae. I would direct it to the sides of the barrels. It won't hurt the fish and you can repeat the treatment in hours. It could be just minutes but why push it for a newby? It breaks down very quickly.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here