Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sheepco

Golden Orfe?

sheepco
17 years ago

#1: Someone suggested Golden Orfe as helpful with goldfish population control. After 5 feeder goldish turned into 32 in 275ga in 4 months, I think I may look into this. Turns out they are nuisance fish in some states and banned, but not in MN apparently, and I'm not turning ANYTHING loose in a natural lake or wetland anyway. My google turned up no leads, so does anyone know where to get them? Do they do the job? And how big should they be?

#2: My 1st pond (300ga) started with six 2-3" goldfish, and tho 1 died right after I got them and I later added 3 more shubunkins the same size, I have never had fry (or at least none that survived). They are now 5-6" two years later. So do you think that if I just bought a few bigger goldies or comets or shubunkins for the 2nd pond they might control their own population? (Or probably I should just move 3 to the new pond and get a couple orfe?)

Just for info, I have lots of plants, a few frogs, good filteration, and only feed the fish every other day, what I consider a pretty small amount.

I don't mean to sound cruel, but last fall I moved 26 3/4" fry into an aquarium in the house and managed to kill them all within a month, even with filters, plants, air, etc. I don't want to do that again, and I haven't found another outlet for them.

Comments (3)