Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
'Muck-Vac' .... anyone use one?

Posted by vieja z7NM (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 29, 13 at 20:54

I need an easier way to empty my small 200 gal. preform in-ground pond to clean it. Other than bailing it out by bucket (the shop vac fills too quickly & I have to keep shutting it off, emptying it & then hooking it up again!), I bought one of the Muck-Vacs I saw advertised. It may work well under certain conditions but hooking it up to a 25 ft. hose hooked up to the faucet & turning on the faucet, it seemed to be mostly just sucking up the water x the faucet & little of the pond water as the pond level didn't go down very fast! Has anyone else tried this? I still need some easier way to empty the pond .... HELP!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 'Muck-Vac' .... anyone use one?

Never tried Muck vac to empty my pond. I think that device will end up putting nearly as much new water in as taking old water out.

Is your pond in a high spot in your yard? If so, you could try to use a hose to siphon the water out. Low tech, but it works if you have proper conditions. Cap off one end of the hose and leave it at the low end of the yard. Take the other end of the hose to the pond. Using another hose, fill the hose with water and drop it into the pond. Uncap the other end of the hose and let the water flow...

If that won't work, you could use a submersible pump connected to a hose and pump the water out. This will allow you to take the hose where you need and reuse the water to water plants and shrubs if you want. If you want to buy a pump just for this, you might get a decent sump pump that will handle "solids" from Harbor Freight pretty cheap.

This post was edited by nmpondguy on Sat, Mar 30, 13 at 14:10

o

The 'Muck Vac' is supposed ro do what I had wanted... empty the pond of water & debris.....but yes, it did add as much new water it seems as it vac't out!! Will try Harbor Freight here... another excuse for hubby to go to his fav store!

o

I can vouch for Harbor Freight's pump prices. The best I've found. I've used a submersible sump pump like goes in the basement well and it works nicely. Also use the old swimming pool pump and a used firehose when we need to take a lot of water out.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here