Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Plastic Bags

Posted by cherokee_joeshoeboot 6 (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 28, 13 at 21:03

Anyone know of a good source for large plastic bags for moving my fish. I have a number of 10" to 20" koi that I have to move and don't have bags large enough to hold them. I plan to put the bags into large storage bins for transport. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Plastic Bags

I use the large storage bins with no bag. Use a lid so they can't jump out and make sure air can get in.
How far do you have to go?

o

It's about a three hour drive for this move. Later I'll be moving the bulk of my Koi from a different pond located in TX. Moving them to eastern KY. Long drive, usually takes me about 20 hours. not sure how I will get that done. Didn't have any problem when I took them out there but they were a lot smaller then.

o

You need an air pump that you can plug into your car power outlet. I don't if anyone makes one or not.

o

They do make them. Bing search 12 volt air pump. I don't know how to send a link but one address is below.

http://www.sunnysports.com/Catalog.aspx?op=gcsSearch&Term=12+volt+air+pump&AnyCategory

o

When I moved mine I used a couple of igloo ice chests. The largest they make, they kept the water temp constant and the top kept the water in. For that distance and time I would definitely use an air pump to give them a shot of air.

o

I use a rubber maid type of storage container. There are holes at the handle that are the perfect size for threading an air pump plastic tube thru. You can get a converter that plugs into the cigarette lighter at radio shack or walmart and plug your aquarium air pump with air stone into that. Keep the lid on and they should make the trip without any problems. I transported three 16 inch koi and four 8inch koi this way 2 weeks ago.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here