Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pond VS Pondless

Posted by malatu DE (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 17, 10 at 21:51

I would greatly appreciate some advice and opinions on whether to build a pondless water feature or a pond. I'm hiring a contractor to finalize a 2.5 year project in my back yard. I will have a small waterfall feeding a 30' stream either terminating into a 11' x 16" pond or just using the pondless approach. I'm leaning towards the pond but want some advise from folks who my have a experince with either of the two. I like the idea of a pond and the associated plant and animal live (I would have fish), but don't think I really appreciate the amount of maintenance required on a daily, weekly, monthly and yearly basis. I'd love what you guys think. I've read a bunch of info on both, but most of the info is presented in the form of articles that have a tendency to be a bit vanilla. In the end, I know it's a personal preference ... that's the problem.... I don't have a preference yet. I just don't want to make a mistake of having this pond built and regretting it because I didn't didn't have enough info to make a logical decision for myself. Thanks much!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pond VS Pondless

We dug our first one on a whim back in 1996 and now have about a dozen water features all over the yard. IF you are into gardening, wildlife, fish, the maintenance isn't that bad. Especially if you do it right the first time. That is a big pond which means easier to keep water temps stable but sometimes harder to have enough plants to control algae. If you aren't interested in koi, goldfish are fine in smaller ponds. Koi require significantly more filtration and care and need big ponds that especially are at least three feet deep for proper muscle growth as they swim up and down. Swimming only horizontally does not let their muscles develop evenly and shallow ponds are harder to keep stable. It is really up to you! IF I had space, I'd build a big pond in a heartbeat.

o
RE: Pond VS Pondless

I'm leaning more and more towards a pond. Just the thought thought of one is appealing. I just want to make sure it isn't something I'll regret at a later date. Sort of like buying a time-share. I just want to make sure I get all the info to "internalize it". Actually, I'll like to hear someone play "Devil's advocate" and try to talk me out of it... just to get a different perspective. Thanks for the reply.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here