Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
First foray into a water feature

Posted by amanda_m z7 MD (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 4, 13 at 22:21

For years I have said that I wanted a water feature, a fountain or small pool. Finally, I have taken the first step. I purchased, off craigslist, a small pond liner for $30.
It is about 36 inches across, and 20 inches deep and appears to be made of fiberglass. It looks like that, sort of like a fiberglass boat. It is light colored.
Most pond liners I see at the stores are black. Is it okay to use this as is or should I paint it?
Do more experienced water gardeners have any ideas for especially good online resources for learning how to build myself a small pond with fountain?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: First foray into a water feature

There is a FAQ for this forum that should help. I have never seen a non black liner either. I think paint would make a mess. Fortunately, algae and other crud will naturally color your walls after a while.

o
RE: First foray into a water feature

Will this just be above- ground?
If you're okay with the color, I would give it a try, as is.
You're in a warm area, so its not like you need to attract warmth to the black.

You could get a very small pump and either just have it spout water in the middle, or you could buy a spitter of some type and put it to the side. (Although if this is to be above ground, that wouldn't work). What I did with smaller water features is just put the pump at the bottom and let the rigid tube come just above the water's surface, and let it bubble like that. They also have floating things that bubble too, that you connect a tube from the pump to. Another thing you could do is put a black plastic milk crate in the middle, and put some spitter on top of that. I've seen things like small ceramic/resin vases that you could put on a crate and they would over-flow in the middle of the water feature.
Lots of possibilities!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here