Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
They're Alive!!

Posted by jennyb5149 3b (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 19, 11 at 23:00

Okay, no question here but I am just so excited I HAD to go somewhere to share my good news with people who would appreciate it!

My koi finally were active enough today for me to see all of them. On my first try overwintering them in the pond, all six koi made it through the winter in the 6 foot deep addition I added last September with only aerators running.

Holy cow what a winter! As I watched the pond ice over and then over 2 feet of snow gather on top of the pond, I grew more and more certain that spring would come and I'd find koi-sicles. Hope started to diminish when it iced over with no visible holes for the toxic gases to escape but hey, at least I could still hear the aerators bubbling away. The my hope diminished further when the snow piled up on the ice and muffled the sound of the aerators to silence. Were they even working anymore? Faith had departed. That coupled with the fact that up here in zone 3b we get some ding dang COLD, COLD days for a couple months, I was absolutely certain that dead koi would greet me in the spring.

I was jumping and squealing like a pre-teen at a Justin Bieber concert when I was able to visually confirm that all 6 koi were swimming and alive.

So, that's all. Thanks for letting me tell you my good news.

Jenny

PS thank you Dr. David for giving me the instructions and fortitude to give it a try in the first place!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: They're Alive!!

Looks like your hard work paid off. How exciting that they all made it. Congrats!

o

Jenny,

I remember the first winter I had my fish. How scarey to leave them in the pond - I fretted all winter. So far, each year, they have made it.

So.. congrats on live koi and congrats on you living through the stress of waiting for spring!!! :-)
Anne

o

YEA! I still have a week or two before I will be able to see mine. My little 500 gal is still about 3/4 frozen. How did you thaw out before us????

o

YEAH! Happy dancing with you!!!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here