Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Filter Upgrade

Posted by california_slim California (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 22, 14 at 23:30

Hello everyone,

It has been several years since I have been on the forum, so I feel a little out of touch. However, I need some help/advice regarding a needed upgrade to my existing pond filter. I will try to post a few pictures, but my filter consists of the following: two (2) 55 gal settling tanks and a 450 gal upper pond/filter. My pond is approx. 4,000 gals with a bottom drain and a skimmer. I used 4" pipe from each one to one of the two tanks (below water line for gravity feeding) where the water is supposed to create a vortex allowing the sediment to settle at the bottom (never really worked). Using a center pick up, the pump draws from both tanks and pumps to the upper pond/filter and then back in the pond via the cascade. The upper pond has a filter mat that is supported by a PVC pipe grid. The idea was to have water hyacinth floating as part of the filtration process, but the plants for some reason never survived, so did not provide the desired filtering.
The pumps get clogged from the debris that doesn't settle, and it is a paint to clean. Help?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Filter Upgrade

Here is the second picture of the pump house

o

I use a 300 gal tank with the inflow divided into 24 3/4 inch pipes going into 4 inch drainage socks cut into 1 foot lengths.
My pond is 75x35x5 foot deep with catfish and bluegill.
I will post more pictures

o

Top of filter tank

o

Filter sock with plants growing on them

o

The pond has a 1/3 hp pump that runs 8 hrs of the day. It pumps from a skimmer and a bottom drain up to the filter that drains into a 20 foot long stream.

o

The pond has a floating rope acros 1/2 of the pond to keep the azole and hyacinth out of the skimmer. This shows the plants growing in the filter and the lemon grass growing around it.

o

Thank you for your response, what are the filter socks comprised of? Are they a form of matela? And what kind of maintenance does it require?

o

The sock comes in a 50 foot roll made to slide over drain lines to keep dirt out. I cut them into 18 inch long sections tie a knot in one end and zip tie the other end onto a 3/4 inch male nipple so I can unscrew it to empty the sludge if i need to. You can get the sock at lowes or Home Depot , they last for a year or 2 but are cheap and easy to replace.
Where are you in calif. I'm near fresno.

o

I might take a look at that. How often do you have to clean the socks?

I'm in Riverside near the 60 & 15 fwy interchange. Judging by the pictures you posted of your pond, you must be near the outskirts of Fresno in a more rural area.

o

I clean the socks twice a year. The 300 gal filter tank works as a sediment trap and it has a drain on the bottom that i use to water plants in the yard when they need a little extra. I live just east of Sanger above the river bottom. I have a cousin that owns the Quiznos in Riverside.

o

Thanks "riverbottom"! I found the sock material at HD, only it looks like 3" in is as big a diameter as it gets, I have 4" fittings in the two settling tanks. Of course I could try it on the outlet side to the pump, that is 2". I will half to look at that possibility more closely.

Quiznos, great sandwiches!

Bruce

o

I have 2 inch pipe that i divide out to 24 3/4 inch lines with a sock on each line

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here