Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
njbiology

Need creative advice in joining exit stream to pond - same level

njbiology
11 years ago

Hi,

Years ago, I built a 35' long x 5' deep pond. These last two days, I dug out a 3' wide x 2' deep exit stream which is completely and unchangingly level with the pond. I do not want a two-teir upper/lower pond system.

I cannot seal the two liners: there is too much wear and debris on the pond's liner, for one; and I do not want to risk the sealant eventually leaking.

I have three ideas:

1. Run two separate flexible (for winter - when the pipe nearest to the water-surface will freeze) 4"wide pipes from the main pond, through a narrow piece of ground and then into the exit stream, and cover this over with a narrow foot-bridge so that it has the appearance of being contiguous.

2. I've never heard of this, but I don't see why it won't work - as long as there is enough pressure (enough weight - depth and width of exit stream): over lay the stream's liner over the pond's liner for about 2' so that the bottom's of both the pond and stream are level - that a natural seal due to water-weight/pressure (being 2' deep and 3' wide, approximately). I do not know if the weight of the water would evenly distribute all over the surface of the stream's liner, causing an impenetrable seal due to weight. Maybe this would work... but when it rains, I get a lot of ground water.. I think that the (dirty) ground water would force its way into the pond when it the pressure in the ground exceeds the pressure from the water's weight in the pond/stream. SO, I guess this won't work for either the primary or secondary, or both reasons.

3. I wonder if this would work: flush the upward facing ends of both the pond liner and the stream liner abutting eachother. Get two rubber frames of equal proportion in shape of a box or, preferably, a big circle - this would be at least 12". Using stainless steal screws, lock the frame of the stream to the frame of the pond and then cut out the center. That's essentially how bottom drains are installed... too bad you'd need to find just the right set up.

Thank you,

Steve

Comments (3)

• chas045
    11 years ago

I am a great fan of streams. I believe mine does all of my filtering. I don't actually know that spilling is helping but in any of your cases, all you could have is flowing as a mechanism for cleaning/filtering.

Anyway, I don't have a specific solution for you, but I want to add to your thoughts. I suspect that the double piping may be your solution. It would be a 4 'bottom drain' connection! However, it seems to me that mixing method 2 with glue would give you what you are looking for. Admittedly, I have little faith in sealing liners either, but to the extent that you believe in plan 2, the glue would give a semi-seal and prevent movement that might make the weight theory succeed. I"M Still with plan 1.

Thinking about plan 3: It seems to me that a single linear rubber clamp is just as good as the square or circle. neither one of us knows what that would be but it simplifies things a bit. I do have one goofy idea that you might think about and mix in. I wanted to suggest a clamp that didn't involve screws with MORE holes. My thought is to cut a slit lengthwise in some pvc pipe, wedge it open, and slip it over the sealed pieces of liner or rubber additions. Perhaps one could use more flexable roll tubing to curve up edges. That black underground tubing is very stiff and still give a spring clamping effect. I'm still with number 1.

I suppose my plan would be different from yours only in calling that stream an Inlet not an outlet. I'd put a big pump in the big pond and pump the water to the far end of the stream that would then 'flow' back thru the stream and pipes.

• Davedogwood
    11 years ago

You can seam a liner from your stream to your pond fairly easily. Get yourself some seam tape (double sided), scrub the old liner well with denatured alcohol and a rough scrubby sponge, do the same for the new stream liner. Be sure to keep things flat and wrinkle free(a short board under the work area works well) tape the liners toghether and roll it tight with a seam roller or the like. I have joined liners before without any problems.

• mike_il
    11 years ago

njbiology,

First forget about #2 as it will leak for sure. Number 1 will work if you are sealing the liner around the pipes. Number 3 could work if you have a hard frame on each side so that you can get enough pressure to seal. But the best way is the way you don't want to do which is to seam the two liners together. I have seamed liners that were over twenty years old with no problem what so ever. Cleaning up the old liner is easy. Using a scotchbrite pad to scrub the debri off the old liner. Than take charcoal lighter fluid to clean the old liner. Use Firestone liner primer on both liners where the tape is going and beyond. Use 6" wide cover tape to cover where the two liner overlap. Use a roller to seal the tape sealed. Try to have a board under the area that you are rolling so you have something to press against. If this is done correctly the seam will be stronger than the liner itself. You can go on the Firestone specialty products website to see videos on exactly how to do this.
    Mike

Sponsored
Land & Water Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
VA's Modern & Intentional Outdoor Living Spaces | 16x Best of Houzz