Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fountain repair

Posted by jclagreca 10 (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 30, 12 at 0:27

I was just about to give up on my fountain, when I decided I wanted to repair it.

Pictures: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/lxr5jf4du6hgx9o/hoFMsJZsvB

I chiseled out the center fountain piece from the basin. The basin had been leaking from the electrical input in the hole underneath.

I think I want to pull the plastic liner out of the hole, and fully cement it in, so the bottom of the whole basin will just be flat. I'll cut a 3/4 channel out of the bottom fountain post, for my 1/2 schedule 40 PVC input. The pump will simply sit in the water basin, and pump up through the 1/2 PVC pipe.

My question is, what can I seal the basin with, so water won't leak through the porous cement? I searched around a bit tonight, and found other people suggestion "BEHR Premium Basement & Masonry Waterproofer" Home Depot has a 1 gallon container for $29. Will this work good? Is there a better solution for a similar price?

Also, if I chisel the fountain post clean, how can I re-attach it to the basin? Should I just mix up some portland cement or quick-krete or is there something special to hold the fountain to the basin?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fountain repair

I suspect that Gorilla Glue would work. It claims to be waterproof and work on cement. It swells to fill large gaps something like Great Stuff. However, I have not used it for snything like this. Perhaps someone here could confirm?

It actually uses some dampness to start the setting process. I would think much less than $30 would be needed. I was very surprised that it worked to repair a severely broken large, 'light cement' (still very heavy), planter (cement and styrofoam I think). It was broken in ~10 jaged crumbly pieces.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here