Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chubbypoptart

check out my newest addition!

chubbypoptart
12 years ago

sorry, I'm so excited i had to share! I just ordered a bulb from this water lily and i cant wait to get it!! it's called an "almost black" and its of the hardy variety. aagh:)

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (21)

• catherinet
    12 years ago

cool!

• schmily
    12 years ago

Beautiful! Where did you find that?

• chubbypoptart
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I ordered it on hollandbulbfarms.com (i added the link to the water lily page ..... I paid $23.00(including shipping) for one water lily bulb/start kit. It included the bulb,soil,2 fertilizer tablets, and the aquatic pot. you just drop in the kit to your pond and wait! im so excited it should be here any day!

Here is a link that might be useful: water lily kit

• chubbypoptart
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I ordered it on hollandbulbfarms.com (i added the link to the water lily page ..... I paid $23.00(including shipping) for one water lily bulb/start kit. It included the bulb,soil,2 fertilizer tablets, and the aquatic pot. you just drop in the kit to your pond and wait! im so excited it should be here any day!

Here is a link that might be useful: water lily kit

• catherinet
    12 years ago

You'll want to repot that into a bigger pot with plain soil chubbypoptart.
    That looks like the stuff that some of the stores here sell.
    I bought one a couple years ago that had a pic of a purple waterlily on it, and said the color was: purple.
    It was a pink one, and I found out there are no hardy purple water lilies! so I hope yours is what they say it is.

You can find these in places like Lowes and Menards, if you have those around you.

• chubbypoptart
    Original Author
    12 years ago

i figured that much. or at least use my own pot for it. why different soil? if you can find them at Lowes did i get completely ripped off as far as price goes?

• catherinet
    12 years ago

Well, maybe just a little. I can't remember how much I paid for mine, but I think it was between 10-$15. But with the price of gas, you'd probably still pay alot more, just driving to the store!
    Sometimes their description and picture isn't always right. I looked at the link you posted, and it said "attracts birds and butterflies". That's really strange! I have tons of birds and butterflies and have never seen them on the water lily blossoms. They attract bugs/flies and beetles though. haha
    Well, even if it isn't what you thought it would be, I've never met a water lily I didn't like! Just enjoy it!

• Calamity_J
    12 years ago

Lovely! I want to start getting different colors , so far I have pink and yellow, so a red would be nice!

• catherinet
    12 years ago

I'd like a changeable orange one, but don't really have any more room. I might eventually get a dwarf one for a smaller container.

• chubbypoptart
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yeah i hear ya about gas! Were almost at four dollars here! Ill be happy with whatever it turns out to be although once im no longer a novice to water lilies im going to buy a black princess from a reputable dealer! Im in love with those! They are darker than the ones i ordered but obviously more expensive. So i dont want to kill them while i only know what the internet tells me for now haha

Here is a link that might be useful:

• frugalgardener
    12 years ago

I have "Almost Black" in my pond and I love it. It never stops blooming. Give it a big pot and save the other pot for something else. It blooms best when it has room to grow. Once it gets pot bound it does slow down a little.

• chubbypoptart
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks frugalgardener what size pot do you have yours in. Is a three gallon enough? What to you use for soil and fertilizer i figured i would use osmocote like i did with my lotus. And just plain garden soil.is that okay?

• chubbypoptart
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I got my tuber in the mail today! and it really looked healthy!! it had tons of greem sprouts at the crown and two more small growing points in other areas. i planted in the soil it came in mixed with garden soil with the cut end against the edge in a 3 gallon rectangular container with about an inch of pea gravel i left the whole top exposed. sound like I did everything right? heres a pic before and after it was in the pond.

{{gwi:191471}}

{{gwi:191472}}

{{gwi:191473}}

{{gwi:191474}}

• chubbypoptart
    Original Author
    12 years ago

while trying to rig something to protect my lily from the fish i accidentally pulled it up out of the pot:/ well i figured it was out anyway and i was amazed at the growth! its only been three days since that picture above when i first planted it here it is now!

{{gwi:191476}}

{{gwi:191478}}
    REPLANTED

• catherinet
    12 years ago

Looks good chubbypoptart!
    I've found that hardy water lilies are pretty hard to kill!

• buyorsell888
    12 years ago

You are going to need a bigger pot pretty soon! Cheap black plastic oil pans work well. Put the cut end of the rhizome up against one side so it has maximum room to grow horizontally from the crown.

• goodkarma_
    12 years ago

Ooohhhh...I like that!

• Calamity_J
    12 years ago

WOW! It loves it's new home with you!;-)

• chubbypoptart
    Original Author
    12 years ago

heres my lily today! that was super fast. i would definitely recommend this one to the impatient gardeners(guilty) :) i got it on the 26th so its only been a week since i planted it.
    although on a side note it has definitely muddied the pond water:(
    {{gwi:191481}}

• catherinet
    12 years ago

Yes, they are pretty fast growers. Your water might start to get some algae. I've found that even in my tanks that don't have pumps and filters, the more plants you have in there, the clearer the water can get on its own. I usually try to have a couple plants in the tanks along with the lilies. I just let the algae take its course and it usually disappears.

Getting off the subject a little.......2 years ago I got to see a dragonfly laying eggs on the lily pads. That was pretty cool!

I like that bubble by the one lily pad. I can almost see you in the reflection!

• chubbypoptart
    Original Author
    12 years ago

lol catherinet i like your bunny trail:) i actually took a liking to that bubble too. haha. i dont know what happened i have hyacinth,duckweed,water lettuce,gamecock iris, and another lily thats still just now putting out some green from the roots. my water was clear then all the sudden, bam! the whole pond is brown. hmmmm. but apparently my hyacinths like it cause i got to see their first bloom today:)

{{gwi:191483}}

{{gwi:191485}}