Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
azponder

Pond Websites: List Your Favorites

azponder
16 years ago

With spring here, I find myself surfin the pond side of the net. Considering this forum has lead me to most of the knowledge I currently have, I would love to get some of your "can't do with out" pond links. What better way to get a healthy favorites list of pond knowledge than from the folks here?

I will start the ball rolling with this link I found when my koi got sick. It is set up to use as a diagnosis roadmap but one good read of this site and you'll be way ahead of the game when trying to keep your fish healthy.

For those who don't know how to link here. Click preview message and then the Optional Link URL box comes up and it appears at the bottom of your message.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pond Crisis

Comments (23)

• mikemerk
    16 years ago

Don't mean to steer this thread down a side road right off the bat but my must have doesn't really pertain to "pond knowledge". It is related to "pond supplies" and that website is www.azponds.com. Fast shipping and excellent pricing.

-Mike

• magdaloonie
    16 years ago

THIS is where I go for pond info - my most used bookmark of all. For fun, I just like to watch the koi on Bonnie's Plants Koi kam.

Here is a link that might be useful: Koi Kams

• azponder
    Original Author
    16 years ago

AZponds hmmmmm. Until recently I thought they were awesome. I got all my initial stuff from them. The filter, the pumps and fittings along with some great help in how to set things up.

Everything with the initial equipment they sold me worked great. But when a pondsitter fried my first pump while I was on vacation I they had to sell me a different brand of pump to replace it. Though the specs on the pump they sold me match my initial pump it can't push the water or run my filter half as well. When I tried to return it, they claim they would never recommend the new pump for that filter and more or less laid the whole thing at my feet. Last time I talked to them they said they would have a manager call me which never occurred.

So I would say AZponds has great initial service but not so much support afterwards.

• ccoombs1
    16 years ago

I've had pretty good experience with AZponds, but like others have said, the service after the sale is lacking.

The best serious koi internet forum I have ever encountered is www.koi-bito.com. It is for serious koi hobbiests only though, and they will not even discuss water gardening. Like I said....they are VERY serious about koi. For regular koi keeping (and also serious koi keepers) water gardening, aquatic plants, koi health care and goldfish, I like www.koishack.com

• pikecoe
    16 years ago

www.koivet.com is a wealth of information on just about everything. Interesting reading. Glenda

• sheepco
    16 years ago

I have found THIS forum the most user friendly, informative spot for my needs, seriously. I appreciate the broad spectrum of advice I get here. I hit americaponders.com once in awhile, but I keep coming back here.

• youreit
    16 years ago

Dittos, Sarah! You took the words right off my computer. :)

Brenda

• wetfoot
    16 years ago

As pikecoe said, www.koivet.com is a terrific resource for koi lovers.
    I've also found this sight very good - if a bit eccentric!
    www.click2Roark.com He's definitely a fish lover, not a garden lover, so he has NO plants in his fish pond! But when it comes to koi, he really knows what he's talking about.
    I also like i.webring.com - join up, and enjoy their webrings for koi owners, with photos!

Here is a link that might be useful: I Love Koi

• mckean_county_ponder
    16 years ago

Another very good site is www.americanponders.net. Lots of good infromation there.

• sleeplessinftwayne
    16 years ago

What Sarah said. It's kind of strange that retail businesses off the web are becoming less and less knowledgeable about what they sell and service is mostly non-existant. Whoops, I should have said "it seems". When I worked I had lots of customers who bought from me rather than the competiton because I knew what I was selling. At least I made the effort while most of the other employees thought I was crazy to waste my time. The big box stores don't even bother to man most departments except in electronics to keep theft down. I go late to shop now because that's when the shelves are being stocked and the stock people often seem to know what is what. I've heard a lot of bad information given out though. I appreciate the information some of the on-line retailers put on their sites and unless I need the product that day I go to those retailers. Prices don't always balance out. How the heck do so many posters develop a personal contact with the sellers? How much do you have to buy to get that kind of access? Sleepless

• buyorsell888
    16 years ago

This one is my favorite

Here is a link that might be useful: American Ponders

• sdavis
    16 years ago

Theres too many scamsters posing as 'experts' with fake referral rackets on certain forums. That kind of racket does not happen on kiophen and koishack, where the moderators are wise to such phonies

• alexpeerenboom
    14 years ago

This is a great pond supply website. They're based out of California.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pond Supplies

• craig
    14 years ago

If you have never visited them, for plant information you really can't top http://www.victoria-adventure.org or the sister site http://www.watergardenersinternational.org. They are more encyclopedic than message board.

The information is provided by both internationally renowned experts and hands on experiences from the backyard hobbyist. The photo galleries alone are worth a visit. They comprise an extensive collection including the personal collections of Charles Winch, Perry Slocum and Clyde Ikins.

Plus, links are provided for free Victoria seed.

• pondbucket
    14 years ago

For supplies I like the service and prices at www.practicalgardenponds.com. High quality, super fast shipping. Nate is a good and honest guy.

• horton
    14 years ago

For all round information, tips and links, I believe that you cannot beat Robyn's Pond Page[s].
    Click the link below and discover what a wonderful resource for new and old pond keepers, Robyn has put together.
    With, what must be hundreds of hours, of dedicated work, she has produced a site covering all aspects of pond ownership.
    Robyn used to post here at GW Pond Forum sometime ago.
    "Horton"

Here is a link that might be useful: Robyn's Pond Page

• mckool
    14 years ago

Aquatic Eco-sysemns, Inc., 877-347-4788, tech service number is 407-598-1401 (free). I have used them several times for pond parts- air pump, tubing, air stones, general fittings and valves. To date, good service, and the tech support is free and has been positive for what i have asked. They have feed, medications, and wide range of items for both pond and commerical use.

• frogman4_gw
    14 years ago

I frequent this forum, as well as others here mentioned American Ponders as well as a new one.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ponds

• watershaper
    14 years ago

Great lists.

1. American Ponders
    2. IWGS
    3. Victoria Adventure
    4. Koi Vet - (pre aquascapes sell out)

Others:

Lou's Views - www.lousviews.com - Beautiful photography.

Sacramento Koi - www.sacramentokoi.com - Great info.

National Assc. of Pond Professionals - www.nationalpondpro.com - A group that contains the best of the best in the nation. Excellent resources for anyone that needs professional help. State by state listing of members so you can talk to someone in your area.

• Jerry_E
    13 years ago

This may be self serving but the correct address of our site is www.americanponders.com
    Thanks for the nice referrals.

• Davin_
    12 years ago

I know I am little late here, but figured I would post my favorite site.. a little biased opinion though (my site) ;). Where did you end up purchasing from?

Also, kinda curious what you guys look for in a site.. is it just price.. would you pay more for better service..site security... etc.. would love to hear your guy's thoughts.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pond Supplies

• sleeplessinftwayne
    12 years ago

Davin, I am definitely a DIY person. Self proclaimed experts who know it all drive me crazy. There are a lot of them out there and I rarely bother with anyone who announces their way is the only way. Over the years I have filled one binder after another with printouts from the net and articles about various ponding methods, products, styles and systems as well as the fish and plants. Many amateurs have good info to share so they are represented as well as the professionals. Even with all the info I have collected, there is always something new to try out or research.

Some of the Extension services have good handouts although it is more directed to plants rather than hardware. They are not permitted to endorse products for the most part. The DNR and Universities are good resources too.I try to read reviews when they are available for hardware. Too many products don't live up to the claims and my budget is too limited to waste time and money on them. So far I find the simplest, most basic is the best. Less to go wrong and I don't need a lot of support.

If you are running a business to sell hard goods, make sure you know what you have and what the competition has. Be honest with your customers and they will come back. If you over sell top of the line or sell less than what is needed, they won't.

• stacyp9
    12 years ago

I have been researching pond construction all summer and have made the rounds. The forum I have found to be the most helpful. While often times filtration design is way way beyond what I will be doing the shear amount of DIY and not DIY info all in one place is what makes this forum really useful imo.

This site won't let me link to it. If you google koi forum and select the one word site that starts with Koi.... that should be it. :)

Weird that they block that one and not other sites. Oh well.

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio