Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
baby fish already!!!

Posted by basilbird z6 RI (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 17, 12 at 10:02

I know it's been a non-existent Winter followed by an early Spring but I really didn't expect to see baby fish! It was close to 80 degrees yesterday and the 10 frogs and 70+ fish were all up sunning themselves and swimming around. It was the first time we fed them and there was quite a familiar feeding frenzy. It was my father who first spotted three 1-inch long fish trying to be very inconspicuous in the aquatic mint! I figure that if we could see 3 there were at least 6 (probably more) down there. The eggs must have been laid around St. Patrick's Day (when it was also crazy warm). Anyone else in the New England area have little fishies yet?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: baby fish already!!!

I think so - I don't think these little guys have been there since the Fall? Unfortunately they're in the settling chamber, and too small for me to net them out. Oops.

o

• Posted by kalevi 4 Ottawa, ON (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 18, 12 at 7:58

1" fish probably were late summer babies.

o

I've got 3 or four babies that I have spotted. My last years babies are already as big as the parent ones...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here