Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
suggestions for tall plant for urn?

Posted by drymanhattan 7 (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 18, 14 at 10:52

I have several tall (2-3 feet high) urns without drainage holes that I am thinking of using for water/bog plants. I would appreciate suggestions, along with instructions for how to plant them -- i.e., fill the urn to what level with gravel, peat, water? Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: suggestions for tall plant for urn?

See-- http://www.hgtv.com/gardening/bog-garden-in-a-pot/index.html

http://www.instructables.com/id/Bog-Garden-For-Carnivorous-Plants/

But I would use a peat/sand mixture.

There are lots of different plants that can be used. Some pitcher plants get tall, papyrus, iris, reeds. I think that you could make a beautiful bog planter. Look at images under 'Container Bog Garden' It will give you lots of ideas. It gave me some ideas. :c)

o

For a tall plant, I like umbrella palm. But they grow fast and you would need to thin it every year or 2. It might be best for you to plant whatever you end up choosing in a pot, inside the urn. That would make it easier to take out and thin regularly.

o

Thank you both for your suggestions. As for the sand and peat mixture, can I use any sand? and can I use crumbling, rotted logs in place of peat? No need for any soil in the mix?

o

I would just use plain garden soil. That seems to be best for water plants.

o

I like the peat moss/sand mixture best because it doesn;t smell bad. As long as there is no fish--they would stir up a mess.

o

In the case of the peat moss & sand - that's it? No soil at all? Just mix the two, 50-50, into a slurry? How about fertilizer?

o

Giant horsetail, Equisetum hyemale is rather elegant

o

Peat moss and sand mixture 4 to 1 ratio. It is a moist mixture that hold together when you pick up a handful and squeeze. My bog garden has some slow drainage. I have pitcher plants, iris, sweet grass, hosta and moss growing in it.

o

One of the best planting suggestions I ever heard was on a show called "Gardening by the Yard" They said in each pot you should have a thriller, spillers, and fillers.

Thriller is a tall, dramatic plant
Spillers hang over the edge of the pot for a natural look
Fillers...well, fill in the space between.

Since I started using those guidelines, my pot gardens all look much better, including in my ponds.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here