Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chubbypoptart

spring is on it's way! pic heavy

chubbypoptart
11 years ago

I'm so excited to see all the sprouts popping up here and there. I've been caring for plenty of new seeds. Since I cant stay outside forever I'm posting some pictures to curb my impatience for blooms and backyard visitors from last year and Some from the past few days...I might never reach pcan's Heavenly pond lol I just started water gardening last year but maybe one day :) Feel free to share your favorite pics! I love inspiration!!

MY HUMBLE BEGINNINGS .......

{{gwi:192983}}

MY 1ST HYACINTH BLOOMS

{{gwi:191485}}

MY 1ST WATERLILY

{{gwi:192986}}

1ST BUD!!

{{gwi:192988}}

{{gwi:192990}}

{{gwi:192991}}

{{gwi:192993}}

{{gwi:192995}}

{{gwi:192998}}

{{gwi:193000}}

{{gwi:193002}}

PICKEREL RUSH

{{gwi:193004}}

LOTUS FROM SEED

{{gwi:193006}}

{{gwi:193007}}

PETS & VISITORS....

{{gwi:193008}}

{{gwi:193009}}

{{gwi:193010}}

{{gwi:193011}}

{{gwi:193012}}

{{gwi:193013}}

{{gwi:193014}}

{{gwi:193015}}

{{gwi:193016}}

{{gwi:193017}}

{{gwi:193018}}

{{gwi:193019}}

CATTAILS A BIRD DROPPED BY....

{{gwi:193021}}

LILY FROM LAST YEAR SPROUTING OUT OF DORMANCY

{{gwi:193022}}

LOTUS COMING BACK FROM LAST YEAR

{{gwi:193023}}

BLACK GAMECOCK IRIS 2ND YEAR HOPING FOR BLOOMS THIS YEAR!!

{{gwi:193024}}

SOME RANDOMS FROM AROUND THE YARD

{{gwi:193025}}

{{gwi:193026}}

{{gwi:193027}}

{{gwi:193029}}

{{gwi:193030}}

{{gwi:193031}}

{{gwi:193032}}

{{gwi:193033}}

an elephant ear unfurling a new leaf

{{gwi:193035}}

penny wort

{{gwi:193037}}

waterlily sprout I got from seed!!

{{gwi:193038}}

MY CURRENT PROJECT....A REAL POND! IT WILL TAKE QUITE A WHILE SINCE IT'S JUST ME DIGGING AND I'M ALL OF 100LBS AND ALSO THE PRICE OF EVERYTHING TO SET IT UP...SO SLOW AND EASY AND I'LL COMPLETE IT ONE DAY :)

{{gwi:193039}}

{{gwi:193040}}

Comments (13)

• chas045
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Very nice shots. What are you using for those closeups?

Since it appeared that you were attempting to do your big pond ecconomically, may I make a repeat of my suggestion of a small stream. It doesn't really add to the cost (other than a few more feet of pump tubing), assuming that you end up with a scrap or two of liner that could be used to line a small trench, and it allows one to forget about the uv and other filtering.

• chubbypoptart
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thankyou. I have a Canon Rebel XS EOS I have wanted to get a macro lens because getting those closeups can be trying with the standard one but It's worked so far:)

As far as your suggestion thank you. I don't really know where I would be placing the stream since the pond is backed up into a corner. I have so many ideas up in the air right now including using the above pictured preform as some type of skippy or holding tank for the waterfall...but if I'm honest with myself I feel like digging a hole and lining it is way over my head right now! lol!!

• chas045
    11 years ago

Wow, the Canon has some range. I assumed it was a Macro. I know you really didn't ask, and I agree that you have enough interesting stuff going, and otherwise should probably relax, but I had actually thought you could put a Small stream where the soccer ball is in the last picture. Or your preform could be the stream.

• pcan
    11 years ago

Beautiful pictures! Thanks for sharing. I'd say you are well on your way to ponding and water gardening. I am amazed at what you were able to grow from seed. I have not attempted it yet but it seems difficult. Especially the lotus. I would love to grow lotus one day. It looks like your soil is very sandy. That makes digging much easier. Keep us posted on your progress :)

• catherinet
    11 years ago

Looks great Chubby!

• chubbypoptart
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you guys! Chas I'm always open for suggestions:) about where the soccer ball is I envisioned doing a stacked water fall which would be what you view when you stand straight on with the pond and maybe a stream coming away from it and coming around the right side of the pond and spilling into a different area (if that makes any sense lol) we'll see.
    pcan, Thank you! I won't finish nearly as quickly as my brain wants me to. with two toddlers I only get about an hour to dig at a time lol. Lotus are so easy!! I have a blug actually from last year I'll include the link...it def. needs updating tho. I'm really thrilled about the blue and pink lilies that have sprouted from seed my mature plant just poked its 1st bud of the season out of the soil yesterday!

Here is a link that might be useful: lotus seed step by step

• chubbypoptart
    Original Author
    11 years ago

blog*

• chubbypoptart
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I've been getting very impatient while waiting for my lily to begin blooming and yesterday while fertilizing I spotted this!!!!!

{{gwi:193041}}

• chubbypoptart
    Original Author
    11 years ago

And another surprise!!! I have been waiting on this iris for almost two years to bloom! Walked outside to water everything and saw black on my iris. I was all "oh no what happened why is my plant turning black? (obviously I need glasses) upon further inspection it's sending out its first flower and there's a second one right beside it!!!
    {{gwi:193042}}
    {{gwi:193043}}
    {{gwi:193044}}

• casiocarcharger
    11 years ago

Very nice pics!

• chubbypoptart
    Original Author
    11 years ago
  • chubbypoptart
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Almost there ...... almost :)

BACK CORNER VIEW

{{gwi:193049}}

VIEW FROM LEFT FRONT CORNER

{{gwi:193050}}

FRONTAL CENTER VIEW

{{gwi:193051}}

My 2 year old "helping"

{{gwi:193052}}

trying to get the credit! :D (This was before the deeper part was dug out)

{{gwi:193053}}

Still won't be finished anytime soon but I'm getting closer. Like I said before with two toddlers, a puppy, a new kitten, Fl. heat, money, and me being 100lbs really limits my time/resources and strength.....but determination is my drive. My dad and hubby laughed at me when I told them I was going to dig my pond by hand.....well I'm laughing now....and probably have bigger biceps than both of them now too :P ROFL.

• Calamity_J
    11 years ago

YOU GO GIRL!!!! I went thru the same thing trying to tame this yard of mine and the "men" all poo pooing my ideas....now they say " What can I do to help!?" since they like the way it turns out!!! (Best bud lives on the property with Hubby and me)I am going to be rebuilding a section of my pond this year since the sand all collapsed. Gotta build a better retaining wall.

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus