Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
mini-me skippy bio filter: how to prevent outflow leakage

Posted by wispfox 6a (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 23, 13 at 11:27

Hey, all!

I've had a mini-me skippy bio-filter for a couple of years now, and no matter what I do, the connection between the shower drain output flow and the PVC pipe back to the pond always has a leak. Sometimes slow, sometimes not. We've tried all sorts of things (various kinds of tapes, different angles, etc), but nothing solves the problem.

We also tried a waterfall output from the skippy, but that loses water too fast, and I can't figure out where.

Does anyone know of a method to attach the shower drain to the pvc in a way that is reversable and doesn't leak? If I need to move it, having that attached would be irritating.

*frustrated*

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: mini-me skippy bio filter: how to prevent outflow leakage

I used a rubber sheet cut to fit behind the flange with the hole for the pipe barely large enough to fit snugly around the pipe. Most people cut an X smaller than the pipe diameter since the rubber will stretch to fit.

I used a silicon type adhesive/filler to attach this gasket to the filter body although there are a number of products that would work as well. It doesn't have to dry hard. In fact it is better if it remains flexible. It has been in place over 10 years now. The flange can be tightened down to compress the rubber to prevent leaks.

Check the plumbing section for DIY rubber sheets. They are usually about 4x4 inches.

o

Sleepless, couldnt you use a scrap piece of EPDM, or is the rubber you are referring to stretchier than that? Thnx -I am about to start my own plumbing project for my filtration and I have a lot of leftover pieces.

o

The rubber is much thicker than the EPDM. It also is textured on one side to hold the filler in place. It's cheap enough that I didn't try the EPDM.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here